Finding Agencies to Help After a House Fire

Can I get help if me and my baby were living at a house that got burned down with our things in it if our name isn't on the lease?

By seiricka seawright from Montgomery, AL

Did the Red Cross step in with help. I used to work in a Red Cross office in SD and when people would lose everything in a fire, if they didn't have a place to go immediately we put them up in a motel for a short period of time, they also got vouchers for(if I remember right) two complete sets of clothes and a pair of shoes, depending on the weather vouchers for winter outdoor wear, and when they found a place of their own to live they could get vouchers for bedding and towels. This help was given for each member of a family. Call them and see what they say if they haven't already contacted the home owner. I don't know how it works when your name wasn't on the lease, from different things I have heard it isn't legal to live in a place if your name isn't on the lease or without the landlord's permission. But do check with the Red Cross.

They didn't help me with all that and I am a single mother of 2

No body told me and I have been trying, I got on my phone and found red cross but they said it was two days later to get a place. So I have been trying but no body wants me and it makes me feel worse. Chris Allen 7192086404

I agree with Redhatterb. Contact your local Red Cross.

I was recently in an apartment building fire, it was my boyfriend and I living there. The Red Cross did help us immediately, they gave us a card with some little amount of money on it like a credit card, for food clothes etc. Then they set us up in a hotel for a days, (this was on a Thursday, so Thursday night and Friday night we were good, but what can we have done over the weekend?? So we called back and stayed in another (not so nice,) motel for 2 more days, until Monday morning.

Then we were basically on our own unless we wanted to go into the local shelter! (Not a good place to be at all, very poor conditions all around!!) But they did say after we get into a new apartment they will help us with things like furniture and kitchen stuff, etc. It has been hard finding agencies that will help us, if it wasn't for my parents I would be in that shelter! ;(

The biggest issue is transportation.