Stretchy, Crinkly Fabric

I bought a large amount of fabric cheap at the thrift store but have no idea what it could be used for. It is white in color, crinkly like paper and stretches somewhat like Lycra spandex but only stretches one way.

I washed a swatch to see if it would stretch more or shrink but it held it's shape. It's lightweight as well, and is a very pretty fabric. Does anyone know what this fabric is? Please let me know or if you know of a website where I might find out some info. Thanks in advance!

Marian from Danville, VA

Why not bring it into a fabric store and ask them for advise?

It sounds like the material that was the fad a few years ago for making broom skirts...

I like this fabric, I always call it crinkly gauze. At JoAnn Fabrics it said Classic Specialty Cotton-Plisse. I got some clearanced too and made beautiful curtains in the granddaughters bedroom. PRINCESS PINK is what they call it. Paid $1 per yard, needed 10 yards to make panels for 2 windows (100 yr old house has long windows).

Also made the 6 yr old her infant baptism dress out of it same fabric, but white. I cut the pattern out of a solid poly/cotton same color, then pinned the two fabrics together and cut the piece out of the gauzy stuff. Stitched them together before piecing the dress together.

Found matching style beautiful lace and decorated layers and layers of it. I used 3 different baby dress patterns, so I guess the design is mine! I also made a full cap sleeve, then on the hem part, about a finished inch, I used heavier thread and took tiny stitches in it, finished it underside with french knots.

So cherish your fabric. When I can get "alot" I try to buy at least 10-12 yards at a time of what I see.

All the suggestions are good but one thing I think you should be aware of is that it is hard to work with because of the stretching, especially the pressing. When I would go to press, I would press out the preset wrinkles. So I would choose a project that is fairly simple. Using an interlining the way T&T Grandma did would probably work the best so that when you sew your pieces together, they do not stretch because you have them on the correct size base. I made a jacket for Christmas this year out of a fabric that had deepset wrinkles and sequins. It was not easy to work with to say the least but was happy with the end result.......I got the fabric for $1.45. Don't you love a bargain?

If this is the same fabric -- I used it to make table cloths for our church long tables. The yardage is wide enough for the tables -- just buy enough for the length. I then hemmed just the ends because the selvages were the sides. They wash beautifully and never need ironing.

Crafts FabricJanuary 5, 2009
Sewing stretchy fabric with a sewing machine.
Sewing Stretchy Fabric
Stack of Fabric Remnants
Crafts Using Fabric Remnants
Oxygen Tubing
Uses for Oxygen Tubing