Using Pencil in Address Books

When putting names into an Address Book, write them in pencil. This way when an address or name is changed all you have to do is erase! The Address Book will serve you longer and save you money.

By Anita from Schenectady, NY

I have done this for years, wish I'd thought to suggest it here!

Since I am now visually impaired and can't see to read and write anymore, I keep all my phone book info on my computer. With adaptive technology, I can access and read for myself, and editing names, addresses and phone numbers is as simple as a few keystrokes. Saves paper, too.

I no longer use an address book. I use a recipe box and index cards to fit the box, each under the appropriate letter tag. Each card has the name, address, phone numbers, cell phone numbers, e mail, birthdays, anniversaries, etc. This way if something changes, I just write out a new card and discard the old.

You can even do this with websites. For that, I have a flat roladex and each site gets their own card with my password and user id. Since I am the only one (live alone) it is not a privacy issue.

LI Roe

I noticed that using pencil and even going on the computer to update information from time to time saves paper and lots of time. Also using pencil is a cheaper alternative to pen and if you really think on this, you dont have to go through making headaches from tossing unnecessary items in the landfill. Lets all be earth conscious to what we do, we can save more lives and land that way.

When you can no longer erase an old entry because of too many changes, just put a blank label over the area. It can be used many more times after that!

I now keep addresses on the computer. It's easier. I have websites with passwords, etc. on a flash drive. Just insert when needed. Then remove as soon as you have the necessary information.

I still like using an old fashioned address book but years ago I bought a "large print" address book. Not because I couldn't read small print, but I found that the standard size has lines that were way too skinny to write in. The large print one has big fat lines, and I have also been writing in pencil for years.

i agree, the new books have very small lines. It's hard to read & write in those small lines. I do still keep a address book. I have been using ink & pencil. I also put a address label over the old addresses, and rewrite them. But I think the pencil would be better.

I have been doing this for years. Over 20 to be exact. My Address book also has my 21 year old granddaughter's foot prints just after she was born. The nurse took my address book into the nursery and put her foot prints in it for me when they were doing them for her birth certificate.

I do the same thing that LI Roe does. I have a recipe box with lettered index cards. It's so much easier to keep addresses on file. If a card needs to be updated with a new address and phone number, I just write out another card. I have had to buy numerous address books, and I have found it much cheaper to buy a pack of index cards.

Maybe I will try the recipe box instead of the book if it's easier to use.

A blank address book
Address Book Tips and Tricks
Organizing TipsDecember 15, 2008
Saving Money on Audio Books
Saving Money on Audio Books
Glass frog pencil holders.
Unique Pencil Holders
Removing Graphite (or Pencil) Stains from Clothing
Address Book on White Background
Other Uses for Address Books
🎄