Address Book Tips and Tricks

Category Tips
A blank address book
Keeping your address book current whether it is in hard-copy or on the computer is easy if you use a few simple tips. This is a guide about address book tips and tricks.

When putting names into an Address Book, write them in pencil. This way when an address or name is changed all you have to do is erase! The Address Book will serve you longer and save you money.

By Anita from Schenectady, NY

I don't like the address books that are generic, so I decided to make my own. I went to the dollar store and bought a journal, with blank pages. I counted the pages, and divided it up by the 26 letters of the alphabet, giving a few more pages to some letters that seem to have more entries than others. E and S are two of the most common in my address book, so I gave them a few more pages, and Z hardly has any entries at all, so Z got less pages. I separated categories with the plastic labels that you use for filing your files in your file cabinet.

In this address book, I enter names, addresses, email addresses, companies that I have registered with online and the passwords to them, telephone numbers, and blog addresses; basically anything that I need to remember. All of these entries are made in pencil, due to the tendencies for all of this information to change. The book is sturdy, and if it is not leather, it is a pretty good imitation; and will last for many years. It is nice to be able to customize an item that I use almost every day.

I chose to add my passwords, because I change them often and need a central place to store them all, to be able to access them with minimal searching. You can enter as much or as little information as you like.

By one.of.a.kind from AL

Having 4 daughters, I learned this trick with my address book. File them by their first names, not their last, because unfortunately, these can change with marriage and divorce and remarriage.

By dcnfamily from Reno, NV

When writing addresses and phone numbers in a new address book, use a sharp pencil, not a pen! With people changing addresses and phone numbers so often, you can erase the old number and put in the new without having to scratch out the ones written in pen. Your book will look neater and will last a lot longer.

By Adrienne from Cleveland, OH

When adding names to my address book, I will add the first name of the person under appropriate letter. Then I will add an entry under their last name. If I forget a first or last name, I can look it up under both names. I never forget or misspell a name this way

By Kathie from Spokane, WA Washington

Because my purse size address book is small, I use different colored ink for entries. Black for family, red for doctors or anything medical, green for friends. That makes it easier to locate a name without having to look at all of them under one letter.

By Knitter from Bloomington, IL

While sending out your Christmas Cards, now is a good time to update your address book. Make a list of ones you sent to and keep it with the extra cards you have left over.

I always clip the address' from incoming cards, check addresses in my address book, then drop the address in my leftover cards, just in case I can't find my address book. And, I usually can't if I want it! Especially if I need it real bad! LOL

By Gladys

Old fashioned that I am, I still enjoy giving and receiving Christmas, birthday, get well, and other cards throughout the year. To keep things simple, I have one address book strictly for the addresses of those people most dear to me.

When you have used ink on rolodex cards and the infomation is outdated, you can use a label sticker to cover the old information.

For a fast, easy access to addresses, I keep an address book file on my home computer. That way, when Christmas time comes around or for birthdays, announcements, and such, it is there with just a click of the mouse.

I need help creating a mailing list/address book in my computer. Does anyone have any good advice on how to go about creating an address book on the computer? Can I do this in a PDA file, or is there a better way? I would like to be able to print out my address labels for Christmas cards to save time.

Angie from Minnesota

It's been awhile since I've played around with anything like what you need, but here's one way you might try, if you're using Microsoft Word:

1. Open a new document.

2. Go to the Tools menu.

3. Go to the Mail Merge sub-menu.

*Note: You should also be able to do this via the Envelopes and Labels sub-menu.

4. The dialog box that pops up will give you a list of choices, including email messages, letters or labels.

5. Using this format, you should be able to sort the data any way you want when you need to add new names or change info.

Best to you, and Merry Christmas!

Jo

You should be able to go to your computer's help section and type in "labels". The directions for making different kinds of labels should pop up, probably three different types. One will be the type you use for the return address, all the same and print them on a sheet of blank labels. Another will be where you type in all the names and addresses then print them on a label sheet. You can add more addresses but the list soon gets unruly because they are not in order.

The third type will come from a data base. You create your date base by opening a new blank data base file. It will ask you to name each field. You might use "First Name" for field 1, "Last name" for field 2, address for field 3, City, field 4, State, field 5, and zip code, field 6. You can go on to add more fields for phone numbers and other information. (You should find instructions for creating a data base in your help section of your own computer).

After you have the date base you can add information or make changes and safe the information as you go along. By clicking on "record" and pulling down choices, you can click on sort to put the addresses in order.

When you have your data base complete with all your addresses, safe it with a title such as Address Book. There might even be an address book program in your computer that you can find simply by asking in the help section. In the labels part of the word processor (in tools) choose the mail merge labels and then select you date base that you created. You can click on print preview after you played with it a bit to see if you have it right or print on plain paper. Play with it a bit. As my son told me, keep you finger off delete unless you know what you are doing, click, look, click ok.

Maybe some one else can give a better explanation. It's difficult only because I don't know what your computer can do.

Make your data base in Excel and use a format similiar to below:

Name Address1 Address2 City State Postal Code

Then, you can perform the mail merge dthat everyone suggested above.

I don't know if anyone has ever submitted this idea, but I'd like to share something I do. I bought an inexpensive address book (from a dollar store). I started using it for websites or internet use. The alphabetical order is very helpful. I put in the web name on the name, website address on the address or the www.com address. Then if I signed up on the (free) sites, I enter the user name I used, the password, the email address I submitted to sign up and question hint and answer I submitted to sign up. This way, I keep track of my many favorite websites by adding short descriptions and the ones I signed up for free (such as this one).

By Rosario from Florida

Answers:

Address Book for Internet Information

what a wonderful idea ! you are very clever. I can't always use the same passsword for all my sites and often end up clicking on the "I forgot my password" button
plus if anything ever happens to my computer i will have a list of all my favorite places I go to
thank you so very much for this tip (04/16/2008)

By imaqt1962

Address Book for Internet Information

Thank you for this marvelous hint. I'm always forgetting web addresses and my passwords. I'm going out and buy one ASAP just for this purpose. (04/16/2008)

By Bev

Address Book for Internet Information

I buy Fat books marked off a - Z tabs in marker for all my websites, screen names/email addy's of friends and business', etc... I keep seperate Fat Books for each category (recipes, shopping, medical, sites and info, etc...) I do keep 2 - 5 x 8" books A - Z marked for my screen names and membership/passwords... The very best thing i have done to keep track of my info... (04/16/2008)

By SnowyFilly

Address Book for Internet Information

This is really a good idea. I've written down passwords, only to lose them in a pile of papers on my desk. So time-consuming to find them again.

This would also be good when you know you're going to be using a computer at the library or at school. Just take the address book with you. (04/17/2008)

By Jantoo