Starting a New Address Book

When writing addresses and phone numbers in a new address book, use a sharp pencil, not a pen! With people changing addresses and phone numbers so often, you can erase the old number and put in the new without having to scratch out the ones written in pen. Your book will look neater and will last a lot longer.

By Adrienne from Cleveland, OH

Another idea is to have friends send a return address label sticker with their new address. You just place it over the old one in your address book.

I bought 3x5 index cards, the dividers for the alphabet and a plastic case that will hold both of the above. I fill out the info of name, address, phone, Email and cell... then there is room at the bottom and back for details...spouse's names, birthdays, anniversaries, children with their birthdays or if they have an interesting note, like helpful with genealogy, or collect something or such. I think I paid less than five dollars for it, and when they move, if you write in pencil, you just erase and put in new addy, if you use pen, you can rewrite on a card already there that is blank. You can even colour code people. Yellow for family, orange for work, green for church....grey for business...and so on. some 3x5 cards have colour bands on top already, but you can use pens, crayons, etc...

I put stickers on the outside of my box. I am not limited to a certain amount of pages for a certain letter of the alphabet (it seems as if M, S, and T fill up quickly, and I have never filled up X, Z, or Y.) An idea, let your kids decorate the 3x5 cards and write the addresses in marker over the artwork. Custom cards. The ideas with the cards, dividers and case as a base are endless.

I now use an index box with ABC dividers and have each person's name, address, phone number(s), bdate etc on a card. I also keep info such as log on and passwords for websites organized behind each appropriate letter divider. When something changes, I either make the correction on the index card or start a new index card. My address/info box is ALWAYS up to date this way. It's easy.