Why is Step Parent's Income Included in Calculating SSI Benefits?

My son is autistic and receives SSI. His biological father and I are divorced and I will be remarrying in September of 2011. At a redetermining appointment at SSI, I was told that I had to notify them as soon as I remarried because my new husband's income would then be counted into what my son gets in SSI. My question is why would his income be counted?

By Ann

Call your local social security office and ask. It probably has to do with the amount of total income your family will have. I would assume the child support you receive is counted too.

Because it is considered household income. It may not change the amount but they still need to know.

It's a common-sense question: if your son will be living with you and your new husband, and your new husband's income will be helping to support the family, then it's considered support- and depending on the amount, your son's payments may be higher or lower than what you are used to, or it might not change at all.

It is my understanding that SSI is based on income. Social Security and Social Security Disability are not based on income.

Budget & Finance AdviceJuly 15, 2011
older blind woman sitting on a bench
Receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
Social Security Survivor Benefits
Receiving Social Security Survivor Benefits
Mayonnaise in dish with fresh basil leaves.
Fat Free Mayonnaise Recipes
Get Organized
Step by Step Guide To Get Organized