Dog Throwing Up After Eating

Your best advice will come from your veterinarian when there are concerns about your dog's health. This is a guide about dog throwing up after eating.

January 22, 2009 Flag

I have a 1 year old poodle who has just recently started throwing up her food quite often. I have tried different dog food, changing her water bowl and giving her small amounts at a time, several times a day. Nothing seems to help. Any suggestions? She seems fine otherwise, very active and playful. She does gobble her food like she was starving no matter how much she has. Help!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The first thing that comes to mind is worms. Her symptoms are pointing to intestinal parasites. I would have her checked for them all, with her throwing up the vet might have to give her a shot to keep the medicine in instead of coming up and out. One other thing that may help in case you haven't thought of this, when changing any pets food, mix the old brand with the new brand. Half/half the first day, then less of the old brand each day until you've worked out the old brand. Changing their food all at once will upset their stomach fast. Good luck and hope she is feeling better and this helps.

Well, if you don't want to take her to the vet you could go to a larger bite food. Large bites force them to slow down a bit.

First of all, does the dog have a current parvo vaccination? Parvo has symptoms of throwing up all the time. It is a disease that is almost always serious and many times fatal.

They can tell if your dog has parvo with a blood test.

Definitely take the dog to the vet. If it is parvo it is treatable but expensive and the dog suffers so much from the stomach pain. Good luck and I hope it is not anything serious. Racer

I have a Toy poodle who started doing that at about the same age as yours. I called his vet & he told me to take his food away from him for 24 hrs & give him childrens pepto bismal. At 1 yr old he should have already have been seen by a vet several times. If he has worms or parvo or anything like that, the vet would have caught it. The vet also told me that poodles have a sensitive stomach. I feed my dog Iam's small/toy dry dog food & for a special treat once a week I give him a small can of Mighty dog dog food. the can of food helps to move his bowels, dry food can cause constipation in young dogs. Why mighty dog? because it's the only one I've found that he likes, LOL. He still has a spell everyonce in a while of vomiting. I don't know what causes it. But since the vet told me poodles have sensitive tummies I try not to worry about it. I just give him 1 childrens pepto bismal tablet & keep an eye on him. He is 4 now and I no longer take his food away from him when he gets sick.

Poodles are also sensitive to skin issues. A lot of them have allergies just like humans do. My dog has terribly dry skin and I give him Pro-Pet brewers Yeast which I buy at Walmart. 1 tablet for every 10 pounds. My dog also has esophageal spasms. It almost seems like he is having an asthma attack! The dr said it is a common thing in poodles & small/toy dogs. I give him a capful of childrens Benedryl when that happens & it does help him.

My advice would be to call your vet & at least let them know what is going on. chances are he will just give you advice over the phone & not even have you bring him in...which can be quite expensive!

Hello,

Please take your fur baby to her Veterinarian. Any dog that throws up needs to be seen by a Doc. The problem can be a simple one or not. Please go ASAP...good luck.

Get her to the vet ASAP. Wouldn't you go to the doctor if you threw up your food after eating?

I have a toy poodle that throws her food up after she eats it. She is 6 weeks old and bottle fed still. Her mother stopped nursing her so I took her and bottled fed her and she still eats the formula but I tried her on some puppy food and she throws it up. What could I do?

Has the food been digested or is is just like wet food? We took on a rescue dog 11 years ago and whenever he would eat it would just come back up. We took him to the vet right when we got him (he was so starved he couldn't stand on his own) and the vet didn't see anything wrong with him except he'd been abused. He did the shots thing and antibiotics and he still did it most of the time right after he ate.

A friend suggested that I put his bowl up on a milk crate or something so his head was level with his body. I gave him small amounts throughout the day and 11 years later he still has to have his head level in order not to toss up his dog food. He weighs around 85-90 lbs now. I'm not saying that is it with your dog, I am not vet, but it might be worth a try. Good luck!

March 4, 2014 Flag

My dog is about 2.5 years old and he has been eating dry food since I got him. Recently he has stopped eating his dry food and won't eat until after he pukes up stomach acid. I started giving him 1/2 dry and 1/2 wet, but he would only eat the wet. So I just started giving him all wet food and the other night he puked up what looked like 2 days of wet food. I'm not sure what to do or what this means.

By Annie W.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Your dog needs to see a vet. He could have a blockage in his stomach or intestines causing him to vomit. Hope he feels better soon.

In the best interest of your Dog please phone your veterinarian immediately.

Pets Dogs HealthMarch 10, 2014
Bored Kid at a Restaurant
Keep Children Entertained When Eating Out
Losing Weight After Having a Baby, Woman in Red Coat Walking Her Baby Stroller in the Park
Losing Weight After Having a Baby
sad dog
Dog Not Eating After Other Family Dog Died
Couple being served a Salad
Eating Healthy While Eating Out
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 14, 2017 at 1:47:00 PM on 10.0.1.142 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.