Dry Dog Food Recipe

The best dry dog food is homemade. Ensure that your dog is eating high quality ingredients by learning how to make your own dog food. Check out these healthy dry dog food recipes in this guide.

Have just become a member, great site, lots of useful stuff! I noticed someone asking about dog food recipes; and I make a dry food for my Border Collie, 2 Chihuahuas, and 1 Papillon.

Grate a range of veggies to make about 2 cups: potato, carrot, or pumpkin (don't use onion). Mix in 1 lb (1/2kg) of minced beef, chicken, turkey, 2 eggs, and about 1/2 cup good plain yoghurt. Blend thoroughly and add enough plain flour to make the mix 'rollable'.

Press into scone trays or similar, score the top with a knife into the size pieces you want (little pieces for small dogs, larger for your big guys) and bake in a slow oven until the biscuit is quite dry.

I find the dogs just love them, they contain all the goodies they need and are also very handy for traveling. I actually add a few capsules of fish oil and empty capsules of glucosamine into my mix as my Collie gets arthritis. It helps her tremendously and certainly does no harm to my other babies either! Just break up the pieces when cooked and cool and store in airtight containers. Get a few trays done and freeze some also.

Cheers

By Vicki K from Australia

Top Comment

I stopped using commercial dog food long ago by making the food myself. One surprising benefit from doing that is LESS dog poop to pick up! Generally they eat the commercial food and the same amount that goes in also comes out. So I assume that nothing much happens in between. When given REAL food 90% of it is actually absorbed with little food being expelled! That makes for a healthier happier dog.

Adding the beef & eggs; are they pre-cooked or cooked while in oven (sorry to seem so dumb)?

I have been cooking for our Lab because he started having seizures. I attribute those to the high levels of BHT and BHA in commercial foods. I'll try these dry doggie bisquits. What a great idea.

What site do you belong to that gives such great recipes? Send answer to kstokes AT llumc.org
Thanks.

Now this sounds like a very good recipe, Vicki K. Of course this recipe would be one feeding for our Mastiff mix, but I could bake it up the night before. Or bake it in large batches and " Seal-O-Meal " it for storage.