Turn Your Refrigerator into an Icebox

My old refrigerator was running almost constantly so I decided to turn it into an icebox. I pulled the plug and put duct tape over the vents in the freezer section. I filled some containers two thirds full with water and froze them in my small chest freezer. I use two kitty litter plastic jugs and 3 plastic gallon jugs.

One of the gallon jugs is for my freezer section. I put cake pans under the jugs to catch condensation. Every other day, I switch out the jugs with another set I have in my small chest freezer. So actually I am powering my ice box with the energy my freezer uses.

I also have a small 4 cubic foot refrigerator that gives me added space and uses much less energy than my full size refrigerator did.

Works for me and saves about $15 a month on electricity.

By Dlginlove from Saint Peters, MO

Great idea, especially with another hot summer coming up. We always need more space for keeping melons, and containers of drinks cold and ready to use. Having the extra space would allow me to make up gallons of juice, cold tea or Kool-Aid drinks for the kids who are always thirsty. Also a good spot for containers of prepared vegetables for them to snack on. I like to keep carrots, celery, and radishes all pared and ready to grab a few when going shopping too. It keeps me from being hungry while I grocery shop. I can think of lots of ways to use an extra 10-12 cubic feet of cold storage. Having an ice-box would sure bring back lots of memories. LOL

Thanks for sharing with us. Julia in Boca Raton, FL

I just brought an Admiral electric clothes dryer, and it did not come with an electric plug! I called the manufactured about this, and they tells me, that the plug is extra that you will have to buy it separately. Have anyone ever heard of this nonsense? I will never buy their product again! I am so upset I can spit.

S and S, I know just what you mean about plug not coming with the dryer! Yes, it is common practice now. I guess that is one way for them to save money... to have the customer buy the cord. However, in their defense, some houses have a 4 prong outlet and some have a 3 prong outlet, so they can't have a cord attached to the machine like they used to. I just bought a dryer too and bought one of each of the 4 prong and 3 prong cords since I didn't know which kind of outlet I had. When the guys delivered the dryer (free) and went to plug it in, they used a cord they had in the truck so I could return both of the cords I had bought. Very nice of them!

An old white refrigerator.
Turning an Old Refrigerator into an Icebox
Better Living Frugal Living TipsMarch 30, 2010
Recycle Sweaters into Scarves
Recycling Sweaters into Scarves
Refrigerator Drip Pan Fills with Water
Refrigerator Drip Pan Fills with Water
Saving Money on a Refrigerator, A new side by side refrigerator and freezer in stainless steel.
Saving Money on a Refrigerator
View of the water line.
Flushing a Refrigerator Water Line
🎉
🎄