Covering a Chain Link Fence

I'm on a budget and I would like to know any inexpensive ideas on how to cover a chain link fence with panels of some kind. I do not want to use inserts as that would take too long. Someone told me to use shower curtains but I'm not sure. I want it to look nice as the neighbors can see it.

Thank you,
Erica from New Jersey

Indian Potatos are a kind of vine with heart shaped leaves that ive used which cover the entire fence and are beautiful. You dont see the fence at all. They die down each winter and grow back bigger and better every spring. Or you could use Ivy which lives thru the winter, or morning glories which also die off in winter. Im thinking you and your neighbors would really enjoy seeing greenery instead of something artificial. (smiles)

Buy a packet of morning glory seeds. They will quickly grow and cover your fence with flowers and beautiful leaves. Leave them to go to seed in the fall and you will have even more next year.

I found a pile of shutters on the side of the road and used them to provide privacy and cover our chain link fence in one spot. I just used zip ties to tie them to the fence. Another idea I had was to use old doors leaned on the fence. I just found the shutters first.

Check out the dollar stores for the table runners out of bamboo, sometimes you can find them at the evrything is a dollar store. I not sure how long or high your fence is, but you have had some really good ideas, if you have a green thumb, not brown like mine. Also saw on t.v. that old vinal window blinds, cut apart, made a table top, don't know why they wouldn't work to slip through the links . Go on to WWW.freecycle.com and if you are not a member join the one in your area and ask for some old blinds. Some of them are long. Wish you lived near me, I would give you some and probably your neighbors too, ha

Martha in TN

look at reed or bamboo roll fencing, they are available at lowe's now. They attach right on the chain link and are inexpensive.

If you are in an area that is not affected by the wind a lot. Try plastic tarps. I use them on my 6" fence using 6 X 8 tarps attached with plastic zip ties.

Shower curtains and old doors are alright if you're opening a Sanford & Sons franchise. Coverage that actually looks decent includes trumpet vine, bougainvilla, oleander, morning glory, jasmine, concord grapes...

We have a horrible chain link fence in the back (belongs to a neighbour). We bought barerrot Red Robin Hood Rose babies online, and planted them in the end of July this year. Right now, in September, they all are almost 4 feet tall bushes with beautiful flowers that have been blooming since August. They just took off so fast! We will be getting more in spring. They look amazing, grow very fast (supposed to be up to 7 feet tall), do not require much of care and tolerate sun, rain, and bad soil as well. Highly recommended.