Ridding My Garden of Clover

I have clover that got in my garden, when I planted some iris bulbs. Now it is every where. Any clue on how to get rid of it with out killing my iris or other plants? I've dug it out several times and it just gets thicker.

Hardiness Zone: 5b

Cindy from Elko, NV

Clover is actually a beneficial "weed" It will add nutrients to the soil that will help your garden. It is also known to repel many pest insects and attract many beneficial insects.

You can kill all or most all weeds in your lawn with a properly applied 2-4-D amine solution. Since clover is not a weed, 2-4-D amine, alone, is not very effective at killing it. You can buy 2-4-D amine which contains Dicamba. This combination is highly effective at killing weeds AND clover while not harming your grass.

You should note that 2-4-D will also kill your iris. I think the best way to handle your problem is to apply 2-4-D with Dicamba to your lawn, according to label instructions. Do not apply it on a windy day. Do not apply any closer than 2 feet of your iris. Do not allow any of the solution to come in contact with the iris. Do not allow the wind to drift any solution towards the iris.

As for the clover that's in the iris and the area immediately around them, I'm afraid you have no choice but to dig it all out by hand. Depending on how many iris you have, it could be a big job. If you love iris as I do, it will be worth it.

Hopefully, if you rid the rest of your lawn of clover and keep it out, you may never have to disturb your iris again due to clover.

In case my advice is not 100% accurate, please speak with your county agricultural agent at the Cooperative Extension Service. They can advise you further.

Good luck!

Clover
Getting Rid of Clover
Home and Garden Gardening Weeds Broadleaf WeedsJuly 8, 2008
Growing Shamrocks
Growing Shamrocks
Athlete's Foot
Remedies for Athlete's Foot
Mouse Trap With Cheese
Best Bait for a Mouse Trap
Medicago lupulina (Black medick)
Getting Rid of Black Medic Weed
🎉
🎄