Ridding a House of Fleas

Category Fleas
Getting rid of fleas in your home can be frustrating. Luckily there is a lot of information and tips available to help with this situation. This is a guide about ridding a house of fleas.

We just bought a new house and while we were painting we discovered it had a flea problem. I have sprayed with Sentry Home household flea and tick spray which says it kills fleas, their eggs, and larvae.

I have no pets, but am just wanting to make 100% sure that these fleas are gone before we move in all of our stuff. Any suggestions from anyone?

By danielle from MO

Answers

Best Answer

Call Stanley Steamer and have the rugs cleaned. Or vaccumn the floor twice a day encluding the upholstry. Treat your pet with Advantage before you start. Never buy over the counter flea treatment for your pet. It does not work and can make them very ill.

Best Answer

If you do not have any indoor pets then the fleas can only live for a little while in the house. They may bite you, but they Have to have an animal host to actually live on. I would suggest bombing the empty house and vacuuming every day. After you vacuum you need to take out the bag Every time and put it in a sealed plastic bag, because the fleas can escape out of the bag.

If you have a bagless vacuum that would be even better because you can empty it into a bag and take it out of the house each time. My friend had a problem with fleas begin when she didnt even have pets. Turned out that an opossum was getting into her house at night through the vents! When she got rid of the opossum the fleas didnt last long. Good luck to you.

I have a rental property that has been infested with fleas from the previous tenant. Most of the house has been cleaned up, but the basement still smells like a kennel. This is where the flea problem is at. How can I get rid of the fleas so I can clean the basement without being infested myself? I have bombed three times and sprayed the steps going down to the basement, but still have these pests. Please advise.

By Bruce from Newell, WV

Answers:

Ridding a House of Fleas

Use 20 Mule Team Borax. It is located in the laundry section of your local grocer. Just sprinkle it, leave it overnight, and vacuum up. Repeat in 5-7 days to get any survivors. Always change your vacuum cleaner bag each time. Have used this remedy over the years, it works. Good luck. (06/29/2010)

By Joyce Lambert

Ridding a House of Fleas

Sprinkle Salt on Carpets to Kill Fleas was posted on Thrifty Fun:
How to get rid of fleas in your house.

The best thing that I found was sprinkling salt in the carpet. You don't see the salt like you do powders. This was so effective, I was amazed. We have 2 dogs and 2 cats that come in and out. The fleas got in the carpet and were biting us all the time.

I started looking for natural ways to get rid of them. In my search, I found out about salt. A box of table salt, so cheap yet so effective. The salt dehydrates the eggs and larva in the carpet.

After a day or so you can vacuum. Reapply as needed.

By Kathynrwd from Birmingham, AL
(06/29/2010)

By 1stborn

Ridding a House of Fleas

Sounds like you'll need a professional exterminator to spray the "entire" house including immediately outside. Make sure it's someone who gives a six month or more guarantee. Since it sounds like the place is quite infested it might be a good idea to have them spray again two weeks after the original spraying to be extra certain. They need to spray with chemicals that kill, not only the living fleas, but also the eggs (eggs can lay dormant for months and months before hatching) and the pupae and larvae!

Please know that they do not live only in carpets. They also live and lay eggs in crevices in molding, under appliances, etc. (06/29/2010)

By Ann

Ridding a House of Fleas

Apply Concern diatomaceous earth crawling insect killer. It won't hurt pets, in fact you can sprinkle it on them and even put in in their food to rid them of worms. Some people are sensitive to diatomaceous earth, and some pets are, especially their eyes. I've never had or heard of a problem with it. Get it at your garden center. The kind they process for swimming pool filters won't work, or so I've been told. (07/04/2010)

By Clyde

Rid your house of fleas with items you may have at home.

Items you will need.

• a small bowl or pie pan
  • water
  • dish soap
  • a plain night light

Put a few drops of liquid dish soap into the bowl or pie pan and add a few ounces of water, place the bowl or pie pan just a few inches below the night-light. The night-light should be the only light on in the room at night. You may have to use an extension cord to lower the light, if so be sure to fix it so the cord will not fall into the water.

If you have small children, you will need to remove this while your infant is in the room. We sometimes put two of these lights in the same room. We don't have children at home so we leave the light on. You will need to change or add more water from time to time.

See if you can count the fleas in your bowl the next morning.

By Jane Richards

Answers:

The warmer weather is here and with that came the fleas! I could use some ideas on how to get them out of the house. I can not use the store bought items due to health reasons. If anyone has any other ways to help, please share them.

Christy from Fulton, MS

Answers:

Ridding a House of Fleas

Give you pet a monthly dose of Frontline or Advantage, as the fleas bite your pet, they'll die off, your pet will thank you also.

If anyone has pets, do them a favor, get a monthly flea and tick medication for them. (03/29/2008)

By Rissa

Ridding a House of Fleas

Seems about every 7 years fleas take over here, everyone has troubles with them, One yr we had them so bad it was like a jumping madhouse here, Nothing seemed to work,

Feed your Dog or cat Vinegar water (add a small amount to their water and slowly increase as they get use to it, its good for them too!)and within a short time they will have no fleas, you can bath them in it too,
being as they are usually the ones to bring them into your house, Rid them you Rid your house,

Common sense told me if it kills them on dogs and cats why not clean my house with it, I have for yrs use soda and Vinegar to clean my entire house, Floors, walls, windows, you name it, I even wash all our cloths in it, We have never had a flea Since! plus your health and the health of your pets will thank you! (03/30/2008)

By Martha

Ridding a House of Fleas

Buy a flea light. The fleas hop to the light and get stuck on flypaper. This rid our house of fleas without the use of pesticides. (03/30/2008)

By SusannL

Ridding a House of Fleas

I have one dog that is very sensitive to the anti-flea products and he is allergic to fleas as well.

Garlic is safe if given in the correct amounts for the size of your animal. I give all three of my dogs and my cat Brewer's Yeast with garlic (and use the apple cider in their water and nothing else). I bought it at the pet store (see picture below). You give one tablet for every 10 pounds.

I sprinkle boric acid (Borax-found in the laundry aisle on the top shelf near the laundry soap) on the carpets and furniture in the evening (keeping the animals in my bedroom until morning) and vacuum it in the morning (be sure to empty your vacuum right after you're done vacuuming).

I don't do this every day, I do it about once a month or if i see just 1 flea. We live in Florida on 2 acres of almost all sand, so we have the outside to worry about as well. This is where we use the chemicals. Again, we do it in the evening, after the dogs are in for the night.

All of these methods used together works for us. We have very, very little problems with fleas! (03/30/2008)

By Renee

RE: Ridding a House of Fleas

Ridding a House of Fleas

They claim small amounts of garlic is safe, But I have read conflicting evidence concerning just how safe it really is, It builds up in the dogs system and over time, has dangerous effects, even death. So I guess its just each persons choice to decide how safe they think it is,

I won't use it, My dogs are not Guinea Pigs! (so to speak) Dogs will quickly grow to love the taste of apple cider Vinegar as well. Everyone seems so hooked on garlic, But why mess with a potentially dangerous ingredient with any dog?. That's what eludes me, Why people use it anyways, apple cider is safe, effective and good for a wide variety.

DON'T use Garlic Powder, Use APPLE cider Vinegar

Your Dogs life is in your hands, Be informed of all the aspects

To those who do use garlic despite the risks involved, it should be noted, that Garlic will not get rid of already-established fleas, (04/02/2008)

By Martha

Ridding a House of Fleas

Get a cake pan and put some screen or mesh on it and then put a light on it and then fill the pan up with water and put a few drops of dawn soap in it and then let it set and the fleas love killing themselves and they just in it, I suggested the screen for people with animals that may drink it that are around! (04/13/2008)

By Megizan hughs

Ridding a House of Fleas

I have bombed my house probably 10 or more times in the last two months, Ortho Raid green thumb, Walmart brand even the super "flea" bomb that 's supposed to get the eggs two in double the recommended concentrations (or triple) that nearly took me out after reoccupying the house the next day within 3 days the fleas are always back, i have vacuumed religiously, every crack and crevice inside the leather furniture etc, all the floors are wooden tile or linoleum i.e. no rugs I do not have drapes (anymore) and do not have pets, I think the only thing they can be eating is me. I have sprayed all of the baseboard areas with flea spray And they keep coming back every 3 days, I am about to start bombing the house every 2 days but this is getting old any recomdendations? (09/14/2008)

By Flea Chow

Ridding a House of Fleas

I have been trying to rid my house for about 3 years when the cats I had kept running outside. I no longer have any pets and I loved our cats. I had Terminix who never accepted or found out what the problem was and I was ignorant to it since never having this problem before.

They didn't try to do their job and subsequently, I heard they got rid of some of their employees who had worked there. By that time, my house was infested. They wanted to continue to charge me after the poor job they did. I couldn't keep paying them.

Now, I'm trying to get rid of them myself. It is terrible. They get on your clothes and get in the wood floor and carpet. I have spent so much money on Raid and the only other insecticide that helps has been Ace Hardware's brand "Flea and Tick" spray. It is getting better, but it is a constant struggle to vacuum 2 or 3 times a day and scrub the floor and furniture.

It's hard to keep up and continue to work. I don't want to invite anyone over for fear that they will get them on their clothing. It is terrible and an ongoing fight. (11/07/2008)

By helpless

Ridding a House of Fleas

I have a tiny 600 sq foot apartment, no animals, but do have trillions of flea "pets". This last summer I sprayed one full can of Black Flag flea killer on the carpet EVERY SINGLE DAY and used the vacuum 8 times a day for 90 days in a row. After 90 days the downstairs neighbors complained to the landlord about all the vacuuming while the toxic chemical build up from the flea spray nearly put me in the hospital. The fleas? Had no effect. Next I tried the salt idea. I literally put forty pounds of salt in the carpet. The fleas added tortilla chips and had a fiesta on my legs. The salt took months to get out of the carpet too..Flea Bombs? Tried that plenty of times. The biting starts within minutes after we get home. We also had a flea night light over a pan of soapy water going for months. Yawn. Next we used an outdoor electric bug zapper INDOORS on the carpet. This provided short term amusement as fleas burned up but after a while they just ignored the zapper and turned attention back to us. WHAT NOW? (12/18/2008)

By Flea Bitten Fred

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.