What is Catnip?

Can anyone tell me what catnip is?

By Kathy

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

It's a plant if I remember right. I think I saw someplace advertising catnip plants online but it was some time ago.

I was right - check out this post. It has a picture on the side of the plant http://www.thri  7159927.tip.html

It's a plant that when fresh or dried it acts as a stimulant for felines. They put it in toys for cats.Some grow it for their kitties to enjoy as it grows fresh.

Catnip is in the mint family. Do not confuse it with 'catmint' which produces nice flowers but does not have the same effect on your cat. Catnip is very easy to grow from seed or cuttings. I suggest growing it in a hanging basket of planter that hangs on the wall because every cat in your neighborhood will dig in it if it's in the ground. I like to pinch off leaves, crush them a little to release the oils and then give them to my cats. You can cut it way back and dry it for overwinter. It's pretty hardy and should grow back depending on your climate (or stay evergreen if you are in a warm place). Have fun!

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceDecember 3, 2009
Guide
A cat eating catnip.
Growing and Using Catnip (and Cat Grass)
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 1:53:20 PM on 10.0.1.155 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.