Ask for the Discount

When I was recently shopping at a well known kitchen ware shop, I found the grater I wanted with a slightly bent handle. At the checkout, I asked for the item to be discounted because of the handle, and it was the only one. 10% was taken off the whole price.

I do this on a regular basis especially if the item is the last one or there is any visible damage. This is especially applicable if you are paying cash. Always be extremely polite, remember they are doing you a favor. You'll be surprised who will discount. My son who is in the military always asks for the military discount and he gets it. Don't be afraid to ask for the discount.

Source: The discounting tip I got from shopping with my grandmother.

By Morganna from Anderson, IN

Your grandma sounds like one smart lady!

I'm working on my 74-year-old hubby, and I think he's finally realized he can use his Golden Buckeye discount card. (We live in Ohio, mostly on our Social Security and what little I can make working from home, so every little bit helps.)

I agree! When I'm shopping for antiques and collectibles at an antiques mall, I have found that when I ask, "do you give a discount for paying in cash?" most of the times I get 10% off. It doesn't happen all the time and usually the items (if I'm buying more than one) have to be $10 or more, but 10% is 10%!

I always ask for senior discount. Sometimes you don't get it if you don't ask. Also, when I worked in an office 10 or more years ago and wore suits I'd deliberately look for clothes with some sort of flaw; like missing buttons, broken zippers, etc. and ask for a discount. I always got good discounts even below sales prices. I was good at sewing so it was well worth it. I don't think the major stores will mark down for things like this.

I worked in hotels for 12 years - 6 years in a major resort area and 6 in a metropolitan area.

Some days (major events & holidays) the prices were set and we guaranteed a AAA and over 50 discount - period. However I had the option of taking 10% off anyone's rate. If they were friendly and asked if I had any specials or said they were military, school teacher, or emergency services worker (fire, police, EMT) - I gladly gave them a 10% discount.

On slower nights I could drop as much as half off the rate. Did I? Were they nice to me? If they come in with attitude they will probably check out with attitude and be demanding discounts for real or imagined problems (most of them created by the guest) so they get full price.

Sometimes if they were extremely nice I would say - hold on and let me see if we have a coupon rate available tonight. Anyone who was nice got the best room I had available at that moment and the best price I could give them:) Snarky people paid full price.

Better Living Frugal Living ShoppingJanuary 22, 2009
Saving Money on Carpet, Installing Carpet
Saving Money on Carpet
Organizing Store Discount Cards
Organizing Store Discount Cards
A bride and bridesmaids.
Saving Money on Bridesmaid Dresses
Discount Grocery Store
Shopping at Discount Grocery Stores
🎄