Light Yellow Walls in Kitchen with New Black Granite Counters

My wife and I recently purchased Blue Sapphire granite (black with brown swirls and blue flecks) and are having it installed in our kitchen next week. We have standard white cabinets, white appliances, and a neutral tile floor. Right now our walls are painted a light yellow, but we are not sure if this will match or not. I am thinking it will, but would like to get some thoughts from others. Thanks.

By tksamps from RI

Hmm. I think it would be hard to say without seeing it. Can you post a pic of what it looks like? Or post a link to the countertop?

Do you by any chance own and iPod Touch or an iPhone? There is a free app from Sherwin Williams that lets you upload a picture a color from it, then the app suggests colors to go with it.

Another idea is this: google a picture of a color wheel. Find the colors ... one-by-one - the blue, then the brown ... from your granite on the wheel. Use coordinating colors in one of these ways: 1) colors on either side; 2) colors directly across; 3) equi-distant colors that form a triangle. You can't go wrong!

Pros: the black counter tops look amazingly beautiful and sophisticated

Cons: the black color makes the kitchen look far darker

Go with a very light yellow color and make sure you use lots of lighting in the kitchen. Black is great tho, it always looks wonderful even if you spill something on it. Funny but true.

I think your new kitchen will be beautiful! The light yellow walls should be perfect.

If you love black and white, the only color that brings them all together is red! Go to a color expert at a local paint store, and see if you can use a computerized system that allows you to put in the colors of appliances and counters, cabinets and floors, then just have some fun. You may find that living with the color you have for a while is the answer, but if it is immediately apparent that you need a new look, that is the best way to see the color in a room setting, not just a paint chip.

And yes, a photo of your room when you are done would be fun for us all. Good luck!

I love yellow and black together. You could also jazz it up with curtains that have yellow in them, yellow dish towels, a picture with dominate yellow colors (sunflowers come to mind) and a bright yellow tea kettle should really pull it together or a pretty bowl with lemons (real or artificial) in it. Just my humble opinion.

I would consider a silver metallic paint. But people call me weirdo.

I'd go with terra cotta or a deep taupe. Also, a deep, gun metal gray would be smashing, a color that had the deep blue undertones in it. I'd try to pick up on the brown, but it would be good if you could send a picture of what kind of brown you have in your granite. If it's a cocoa brown, I'd go with deep taupe, more brown than gray.

If it's a reddish brown, I'd go with terra cotta. What ever color you pick, please send us a picture! Your kitchen sounds really beautiful and I would love to see it. Good luck!

I thought of one more and in the same vein as the metallic paint suggestion. Again, if you don't have a lot of walls to paint, I'd go with a metallic blue/gun metal gray paint. Buy a small sample. What could you lose? Sounds daring and innovative to me. But people call me a weirdo too, so, there you have it.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Paint Color AdviceSeptember 1, 2009
Removing Stains from Granite, Granite Kitchen Counter and Stainless Sink
Removing Stains from Granite
A nice kitchen with granite countertops and white cabinets.
Coordinating Granite Countertops With Kitchen Cabinets
Yellow cake with chocolate frosting.
Homemade Yellow Cake Recipes
Best Christmas Light Shows. House decorated in white Christmas lights
Best Christmas Light Shows
🎄