Organizing an Upright Freezer

Is there a certain way to stack food in your upright freezer? For example, should I put meat on top shelf, ice cream on second shelf, etc.?

By Pat M.

Gosh, I have never heard of a specific recommendation; and will watch to see if others do have one. That said, I like to keep meats together, fruits, vegetables, prepared foods, and the like. I prefer it that way because it makes it easier to keep track of what is in there. As to which particular shelf gets what, for me it has more to do with available space. Because prepared foods tend to come in boxes, they take more space; Bagged and boxed vegetables fit in my door shelves. I use topless cardboard boxes and unused dishpans as 'drawers" for smaller items.

What is really important to me is to make the items easy to find so I can minimize the amount of time my door is open, as my freezer is not frostless! Using boxes and bins let me pull out the bin and close the door while I find what I am looking for.

Always put meat on the very bottom. That way, nothing drips on to anything. I like using the plastic drawer units you can get anywhere. I put bagged veggies and fruit in them, as they are hard to keep their shape. Shredded cheese works good in them, too, and you can label the drawers. Plastic see thru' shoe boxes from the dollar stores work well, too, as they can be stacked.

Also, these items keep the freezer burn problem way down!

Compartmentalizing is the key. I hope this helps!

Organizing Your Cross-Top Freezer, Picture of an organized freezer.
Organizing Your Freezer
Organizing Freezer and FridgeJuly 15, 2011
Chest Freezer
Chest Freezer Reviews
Keeping orchids upright
Keeping Orchids Upright
Raising Runner Ducks
Raising Runner Ducks
Old Ironing Board
Uses for Old Ironing Boards
🎉
🎄