RefinishingFurniture

Upholstery Nails Keep Bending

I am upholstering a footstool I am now putting a small skirt on it. I am using upholstery nails and a tack hammer. The nails are bending on me, what am i doing wrong.

lindasue41 from Hartley, IA

Are you using an upholstery hammer? They work the best. Maybe your material is too thick.

i had some that did that when i reupholstered a chair & sorry to say,they came from Kmart.

What I think that should have been done at the time is- take them back & show them to them! I wish I had had the time to do that then but I didn't & it's a long way across town !Maybe give them a call & tell them or if you have needle nose pliers or other pliers try holding the tack with them on the stem of the tack & hitting it with a hammer.I hope you have a reciept & the little box JUST IN CASE THEY SAY THEY WILL REFUND THE PRICE !Who knows? Maybe they will give you a new box!?!

good luck !

The wood under the material is probably very hard wood.

Try using a very small drill bit and predrill the holes, then hammer the tacks in. Good Luck

I am using a tack hammer but maybe your right my material may be to thick

Thanks everybody for your responses