Upholstery Nails Keep Bending

I am upholstering a footstool I am now putting a small skirt on it. I am using upholstery nails and a tack hammer. The nails are bending on me, what am i doing wrong.

lindasue41 from Hartley, IA

Are you using an upholstery hammer? They work the best. Maybe your material is too thick.

i had some that did that when i reupholstered a chair & sorry to say,they came from Kmart.

What I think that should have been done at the time is- take them back & show them to them! I wish I had had the time to do that then but I didn't & it's a long way across town !Maybe give them a call & tell them or if you have needle nose pliers or other pliers try holding the tack with them on the stem of the tack & hitting it with a hammer.I hope you have a reciept & the little box JUST IN CASE THEY SAY THEY WILL REFUND THE PRICE !Who knows? Maybe they will give you a new box!?!

good luck !

The wood under the material is probably very hard wood.

Try using a very small drill bit and predrill the holes, then hammer the tacks in. Good Luck

I am using a tack hammer but maybe your right my material may be to thick

Thanks everybody for your responses

Home and Garden Home Improvement Furniture RefinishingDecember 13, 2007
Photo of rusty nails.
Uses for Old (and Bent) Nails
Mancured Hand Holding Flower petals
Saving Money on Acrylic Nails
Photo of a woman's hands with acrylic nails on.
Applying Acrylic Nails
🎄
🍂