Painting Room With Red and Black Furniture

I have a black leather contemporary sofa and a crimson red chair in my living room. My ceiling is an exposed concrete gray. Any ideas/suggestions on what color should I paint my walls (they are currently white)? Thanks.

By Julius from Houston, TX

I would paint a kaki, tan neutral color.

Why not red walls?It's famous on HGTV, good luck.

What else is in room you want to keep? How about art work colors, are those the only two colors? Take inventory of all colors, and try to imagine one as wall color, as is, or lighter, or darker.

Grays are always good with red and black, but that doesn't feel right to me. Soft green/gray? What shade of red is it you have? Any pillows, throws that contribute color?

Leather of any kind is very masculine. Then with the red chair that is dominant I would go with a denim blue or any blue muted color.

Good Luck

February 8, 2010 Flag

I have contemporary leather/stainless steel furniture. I have a black couch and love seat, a red sofa, red rug, and red and black accents. What color should I paint my walls?

By Jackie from Brooksville, FL

It depends on the color red you used. Usually, if you used a really dark red/maroon color, a light tan or coffee brown will accent the furniture well, and if you used a bright red, a slightly darker tan/brown will do. You want to avoid greens, since it will give the room a Christmas-y feel, and with the stainless steel and black leather, tans/brown make a nice backdrop. If you want more color in the room, find a paint chip sample that is close to your furniture colors, and then compare those to different paint chips, and use whatever color you like for trims or borders.

You can find artwork that has your reds in it, and use that to add color and personality to the room too. If you choose to do stripes or borders, and you think that you might someday move, choose more neutral colors, so it will be easier to sell as is, or it will be easier to re-paint later. Good luck. Hope this helps. (10/12/2009)

By Ladyscorpio0088

I think white walls would look great with the red, black, and steel (gray). I saw a pretty afghan once that had all these colors in it and I thought it was very pretty. (10/12/2009)

By Lorelei

I would paint the walls white or maybe a very pale gray. (10/12/2009)

By OliveOyl

How about yellow if you want a really bold look? (10/13/2009)

By Allison5

Try a shade of grey on the walls. I used to have a living room with black furniture and a red rug. The walls were painted a dove grey, with white woodwork. I used pillows in black, grey, red, and white, and red curtains. Good luck, whatever you decide to do. (10/13/2009)

By Omanana

Gold! (10/16/2009)

Choosing a Paint Color
Paint Color Advice to Coordinate with Furniture
Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Paint Color AdviceFebruary 8, 2010
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Black Widow Spider Costume
Can of paint with a spill on white table.
Removing Paint Stains from Wood Furniture
Red Wine
Removing Red Wine Stains from Microfiber
Glass of Red Wine Spilled on Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Carpet