Preventing Litter Box Odors

Having a well trained house cat makes for a pleasant home, as long as long as the cat box is odorless. This guide is about preventing litter box odors.

Cat in Litter Box
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

What cat litter is the best to remove the cat urine smell?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I've started using 'stall pellets'.....they are wood chips compressed into pellets and have many different brand names. I get them at a farm/feed store, they may be elsewhere as well. They start out as pellets but as the kitty uses the litter box, the pellets break down from the moisture into fine sawdust. The odor control is amazing and the price is very low. These are not for pellet stoves, but made specifically for animals.

Read More Answers...

How do I eliminate cat odors? I clean kitty litter 2-3x a day, vacuum at least every other day, clean surfaces daily, and wash curtains, etc. weekly. I do use lemon grass oil to keep spiders away which scents the air, but doesn't always clean the air. How are scented candles like Febreze for cats?

By Sharon from Newark, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would be careful about using perfumes, candles, or scented litters for a cat or cats. And be careful that the litter is not too powdery as the cat can breathe in the dust it causes when it uses the box & also some litter stick to the cats fur just from using box. I try not to use a litter that states too strongly language about controlling odors, etc because of this. Cats can have allergies too & I certainly wouldn't want to be breathing litter dust 2-3 times day. Anyway, that is my humble opinion.

Read More Answers...

To keep cat litter fresh smelling, mix baby powder in with the litter.

Source: A friend

By atinap from Drummondville, QC

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Instead of buying expensive cat litter I use the cheapest clay litter but keep a jar of baking soda on the top of the litter box.

I use an empty air freshener container since it has vents in it (which can be used to sprinkle it) and fill it with baking soda, which I sprinkle into the box after each cleaning.

The baking soda left on top and sprinkled in the box helps keep it smelling fresher between cleanings while i am away at work!

Keep Your Litter Box Fresh

What is the best way to get rid of the smell from the cat litter box? I clean out the box at least twice a day and put new litter in. I even added baking soda to the litter, but it doesn't help. Is there anything else I can try besides buying a scented litter, which is too expensive?

By Linda from Brighton, MI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If the litter box is plastic, it might have absorbed some of the odor. I would replace it with a new one and see if that helps.

Read More Answers...

We have a 3 year old indoor cat and were wondering what is the best dry cat food diet we could give her. When we first got her, we tried to give her the wet can of food we got with her, but she threw it up. So, she doesn't like any canned food. We have been giving her bulk dry cat food from the grocery store. She seems to be OK with it, except that her litter box odor has gotten kinda of bad.

I've just been reading about diets and litter box odor and that there might just be a connection. What is the best kind of dry cat food to feed her so her litter box won't smell so bad?

By Linda from Brighton, MI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Purina One can be gotten at most any store, Wal-Mart, Woodman's, etc. I found Woodman's to be cheaper as Purina One is more expensive. I had a cat that had a delicate stomach and I found that Purina One worked best. Right now I'm using the Smart Blend.

Read More Answers...

I was told by a pal, who works at a local discount store, that the product "Feline Pine Kitty Litter" is the best product to use if you have pets such as ferrets or cats. It cuts down on the odor more so than most like products.

By Terri H. from NV

I have only 1 cat, but the odor from her litter box is very unpleasant. We scoop at least once a day or every other day, but the smell is still bad. I've tried several different kinds of litter and thought the last brand I bought (Arm and Hammer Double Duty) worked. It did for a little while, but it stills smells bad. I was told to try Tidy Cat for multiple cats even though I only have 1 cat. I haven't tried it yet and was wondering if anyone who has just 1 cat has tried it and did it work, or what is the best litter you have tried to control both the pee and poop odors?

There is also a deodorizer called Fridge-it (it looks like a purple cube) that you can clip to the box to control odors. I would like to try that, since litter can be quite expensive. Has anyone tried this product and does it really work? If so, where did you buy it? Any information you can give me would be very helpful as the odor is getting quite bad. Thank you.

By Linda D.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I agree with Deeli - the scoopable or clumping litter is definitely the answer to smelly litterbox problems. It works out to be cheaper than the regular kind because you don't have to empty it out completely - just scoop out the clumps of soiled litter. Walmart sells their own brand called "Special Kitty" but any kind of scoopable or clumping litter will work. Good luck.

Read More Answers...

I would like to know how to get rid of the smell from our cat litter box? I've tried all kinds of powders and different litters that are suppose to control the odor, but none have worked. Is there a special kind of litter out there that is proven to control both the urine and the poop odors?

By Linda from Brighton, MI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Okoplus is excellent but keep it 3" deep it is also biodegradable & flushes away no problem.

Olivia.

Read More Answers...

We just moved into a rental townhouse. I am pretty sure who ever lived there before us had a litter pan in the upstairs linen closet. It does NOT have a urine smell, but more like the actual kitty litter itself. I have tried several things to get this smell out -- washed the closet down, aired out the shelves in the sun, baking soda in the bottom -- I am at a loss now. Someone please help me, I have been in this place for 3 months and it makes my whole upstairs stink if I leave the door open, and my linens are still in a basket beside the closet. Ugh!

Monica from Ontario. Canada

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We have used a basin with towels soaked in rubbing alcohol under the beds in patients rooms to remove extremely strong odors. May be worth a shot.

Read More Answers...

Shay lives in a small house with 5 cats. They, all 5, use one litterbox. As soon as Shay cleans the litterbox and puts fresh litter in, all 5 cats need to use it. Therefore, the smell never goes away. What can Shay do to eliminate or at least neutralize the odor?

By tm

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The first thing she needs to do is get at least 2 more litter boxes - 3 or 4 would be even better.

Not knowing what kind of litter or litter boxes she has, these suggestions may or may not apply:

1. Scoop the litter daily.

2. Wipe the edges of the litter box with a Clorox wipe or something similar every time you scoop. If it's a hooded box, wipe the edges of the lid also.

3. Mop the floor around the boxes frequently.

4. Put a bathmat or similar washable rug in front of the boxes to catch stray litter and wash it once a week.

5. Once a month or so, empty the boxes completely. Scrub, rinse and dry them well and refill. If you don't use scoopable litter, you need to do this one a week.

HELP! My flat is very small and the whole place smells like a litter box! I bought some clumping litter, litter freshener and about a million air fresheners but nothing seems to work.

I love my cat sooo much but I don't think I can deal with this stink!

One thing about the clumping litter though, now I've been using it for 2 days - OMG my cat does the HUGEst wee's! Are they normally so big?

Kirstie from UK

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
      Pets Pet OdorsDecember 19, 2013
      Kitty Litter Substitute
      Kitty Litter Substitutes
      Homemade Cat Litter Box
      Homemade Cat Litter Box Ideas
      Cat in Litter Box
      Cat Not Using the Litter Box
      Cat exiting a litter box.
      Cat Litter Mat Reviews
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 18, 2016 at 2:29:13 PM on 10.0.0.115 in 865 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.