Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Preventing Litter Box Odors

Having a well trained house cat makes for a pleasant home, as long as long as the cat box is odorless. This guide is about preventing litter box odors.

December 7, 2009 Flag

To keep cat litter fresh smelling, mix baby powder in with the litter.

Source: A friend

By atinap from Drummondville, QC

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Do NOT use baby powder that has talc in it! And this goes for people, too:

http://www.prev  smetics/talc.htm

I sprinkle baking soda in the litter boxes.

December 18, 2013 Flag

Instead of buying expensive cat litter I use the cheapest clay litter but keep a jar of baking soda on the top of the litter box.

I use an empty air freshener container since it has vents in it (which can be used to sprinkle it) and fill it with baking soda, which I sprinkle into the box after each cleaning.

The baking soda left on top and sprinkled in the box helps keep it smelling fresher between cleanings while i am away at work!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is exactly what I do! Baking soda works so well & I buy the cheapest I can find.

August 2, 2007 Flag

I was told by a pal, who works at a local discount store, that the product "Feline Pine Kitty Litter" is the best product to use if you have pets such as ferrets or cats. It cuts down on the odor more so than most like products.

By Terri H. from NV

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I like Feline Pine, but my cat kicks the pellets all over the place. I've been making my own -- http://alliesan  itty-litter/1044

And it works really well.

December 28, 2010 Flag

How do I eliminate cat odors? I clean kitty litter 2-3x a day, vacuum at least every other day, clean surfaces daily, and wash curtains, etc. weekly. I do use lemon grass oil to keep spiders away which scents the air, but doesn't always clean the air. How are scented candles like Febreze for cats?

By Sharon from Newark, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Duh! I never knew you could use baking soda! I have been using Arm and Hammer litter powder for years! (It works great) I do agree scoopable litter is better and more economical.. The urine clumps and you can remove only what is used. When I have people over, they don't know I have a cat until he brushes up against them.

Baking soda is great but also, I use Special Kitty that comes in the green box from Walmart. I've tried all the others and really nothing compares for the price. Also, try to keep enough kitty litter in the kitty box, at least 1/2 full.

I should mention I have two cats and never have an odor problem. :) Good luck!

Thanks to all of you for the suggestions. They are very helpful.

August 2, 2016 Flag

What can I use as an alternative to costly shop brought fresheners for my cat's litter tray?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

YOu can make your own with baking soda and essential oils: "To add a touch of scent to the baking soda, place a cup of it in a resealable plastic bag and add 10 drops of essential oil to it. Let the baking soda sit overnight to absorb the essential oil scent before use. Pour it into a grated cheese shaker to sprinkle over the litter, improving its odor."

pets.thenest.com/good-homemade-cat-box-refresher-11890.html

Baking soda works but if your cat doesn't like the new scent you are using it will not use the box. Something to think about...

February 26, 2016 Flag

What cat litter is the best to remove the cat urine smell?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Boxiecat it is available online.

I've started using 'stall pellets'.....they are wood chips compressed into pellets and have many different brand names. I get them at a farm/feed store, they may be elsewhere as well. They start out as pellets but as the kitty uses the litter box, the pellets break down from the moisture into fine sawdust. The odor control is amazing and the price is very low. These are not for pellet stoves, but made specifically for animals.

For me I use family Dollar cat liter n I use baby powder

July 26, 2010 Flag

What is the best way to get rid of the smell from the cat litter box? I clean out the box at least twice a day and put new litter in. I even added baking soda to the litter, but it doesn't help. Is there anything else I can try besides buying a scented litter, which is too expensive?

By Linda from Brighton, MI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Clumping litter yes, as everyone has mentioned. Brands are up to you, and to some extent, your cat. The urine of different cats will react and smell differently with different litters. So the brand that works for one may not be the best for someone else. My cats use either Arm and Hammer or Tidy Cat. It helps that they are not fussy so I can buy the one on sale. I also keep a Freshmatic on the shelf over the litter. And since my litter boxes are in the basement with a limited amount of air exchange, I keep a small air cleaner running on low speed nearby.

I've tried many things over the years. I've tried the automatic boxes and I even tried one that was over $300.00. They didn't work because the feces when disturbed would cling to the rake the boxes use. What a mess! And of course the odors were terrible. I tried using a large storage bin with the sides cut high, but our large, older cat said it was too hard to get in and out. I tried the rug in front of the box trick but, I still had a mess to vacuum up. Finally I am in a happy place. I am lucky enough that I have a seldom used attached garage. I store things in it mostly. I installed a kitty door so the kitty's can come and go.

Now the litter box is no longer in my home. I set the box in a swimming pool and the litter that they kick out or sticks to their feet stays in the pool. I also use a hard clumping litter. It's best if it can't seep to the bottom of the box. I scoop 2x daily, more if I am able, and find a gift for me in their box.

I have discovered that if the feces or litter sit in the box, then the entire box is absorbing those odors, the odor is still there even when the clumps are removed. I take great care in scooping to not breakup the clumps. The little pieces that fall through the scooper screen add up and smell. I dump and deodorize, sanitize once a week. The stick on carbon filters work well.

I tried baking soda but never really saw an improvement things still would smell. I hope this helps, I understand not everyone has a room they can put the box in and install a kitty door, but it's and idea for those that can. The swim pool also helps a lot for those with the room.

You can also add diatomaceous earth, to help with clumping. It's already in most litters.

June 23, 2011 Flag

We have a 3 year old indoor cat and were wondering what is the best dry cat food diet we could give her. When we first got her, we tried to give her the wet can of food we got with her, but she threw it up. So, she doesn't like any canned food. We have been giving her bulk dry cat food from the grocery store. She seems to be OK with it, except that her litter box odor has gotten kinda of bad.

I've just been reading about diets and litter box odor and that there might just be a connection. What is the best kind of dry cat food to feed her so her litter box won't smell so bad?

By Linda from Brighton, MI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I ought to be feeding ours wet cat food but they like the dry so much I use the one formula. The main thing is to try to see that real meat is the first ingredient. By Products do not equal meat. If it says Chicken as the first ingredient than that food has real meat as the main ingredient,

I have noticed even the ones at the vet don't pass my test of real meat being the first ingredient.

Also the better you feed your pet the foods with real meat as the first ingredient, the less bulk wasted matter there will be in the litter box. If you spend an extra ten dollars on food or so, they will eat less and the price will usually be about the same, since they will eat less. They wont eat less at first, but gradually they will.

I have found this out about cats. If they don't eat one wet can food, try another one, again with meat as a first ingredient.

Blessings,

Robyn

I prefer Costco (Kirkland) brand. It has chicken at the 1st ingredient and none of the thing you want to avoid. It is also inexpensive and the cats like it.

This is for robynfederspiel:

What is the one formula and where can you get it around Brighton, MI?

Linda

September 11, 2011 Flag

I have only 1 cat, but the odor from her litter box is very unpleasant. We scoop at least once a day or every other day, but the smell is still bad. I've tried several different kinds of litter and thought the last brand I bought (Arm and Hammer Double Duty) worked. It did for a little while, but it stills smells bad. I was told to try Tidy Cat for multiple cats even though I only have 1 cat. I haven't tried it yet and was wondering if anyone who has just 1 cat has tried it and did it work, or what is the best litter you have tried to control both the pee and poop odors?

There is also a deodorizer called Fridge-it (it looks like a purple cube) that you can clip to the box to control odors. I would like to try that, since litter can be quite expensive. Has anyone tried this product and does it really work? If so, where did you buy it? Any information you can give me would be very helpful as the odor is getting quite bad. Thank you.

By Linda D.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi Linda,

I also had only one cat and the smell from his box, even though it was covered, was horrendous, even though I scooped every day too. I tried the Multiple Cat ones. Didn't work any better than the single cat ones. I even tried mixing 2 and 3 different types and brands together. That didn't work either.

I switched to the Double Duty one and was amazed at how well it worked!

If you're still having a problem even with that one, try changing his food brand. Over the years I have found that Purina cat food makes their urine and poop really smell powerful! So I never feed that to my cats. Dogs, yes, cats no. My cat was extremely finicky so it took me a while to find one he liked but kept trying till I found one. Then I would stay with the same brand but switch out flavors every other bag.

Taking him off Purina cat food made all the difference. I'm not saying Purina isn't a good food, on the other hand it is a good brand, just that there is something in it that makes their waste smell really really bad.

Hope this helps with yours!

I am not sure if you're talking about regular kitty litter or the clumping scoopable type. If you're using the scoopable and having this odor then it is probably the brand of cat food your fur baby eats or the litter needs to be scooped every day for sure and maybe even twice a day.

I used to use the regular Tidy Cats for multiple cats but switched to their scoopable brand a couple of years ago and no more odor problem. I switched not only because of the odor but also because it's much more cost effective overall because you're only scooping out the pee pee clumps and poopy and don't have to throw away an entire litter box full of pee pee soaked litter. You also don't have to wash out the litter box itself as often either because the pee pee hasn't had a chance to soak into the plastic ;-)

Switch to non grocery store food. Pet supply, farm supply has better foods. Nothing with corn wheat or soy. Grocery store Purina foods now even contain euthanized animals from the pounds and shelters. That poison does not cook off. Nor does the metals from their tags. Evo is good food for cats (dogs too). Cat litter? I am fond of the big green jug of litter purrfect from Costco.

June 23, 2011 Flag

I would like to know how to get rid of the smell from our cat litter box? I've tried all kinds of powders and different litters that are suppose to control the odor, but none have worked. Is there a special kind of litter out there that is proven to control both the urine and the poop odors?

By Linda from Brighton, MI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You may also want to wash out the entire litter pan periodically to eliminate odors that don't go away with the litter.

I can't stand the smell of a dirty litter box and actually have it in my office so I have a daily reminder to clean it, every morning. I've tried practically every litter out there and we use Freshstep for multiple cats, even though we're down to one cat now.

If I even get a slight whiff that Squirt did his business, I have to rush to the litter box to scoop it up before my dogs get to it.

My sister has one of those electric litter boxes, that cleans itself and she empties it daily and you would never know she had two, older cats.

Back when we had two cats, I would always sprinkle Baking Soda after cleaning and it helped.

I'm home full time now due to a very long, on-going recovery and I can honestly say I very rarely smell my litterbox at all and it's about 6 feet behind where I sit at my desk in a small bedroom that I use as an office.

Another thing I learned from experience, is the litterbox smelled a lot worse when my cats ate canned food, compared to just dry food when they were younger.

I also leave the top off, so it's a constant reminder to me, everytime I walk into my office, to check.

Dr. Elsey's is the best cat litter for odor control. You can get it at Petsmart. I'm not sure if Petco sells it.

June 28, 2006 Flag

We just moved into a rental townhouse. I am pretty sure who ever lived there before us had a litter pan in the upstairs linen closet. It does NOT have a urine smell, but more like the actual kitty litter itself. I have tried several things to get this smell out -- washed the closet down, aired out the shelves in the sun, baking soda in the bottom -- I am at a loss now. Someone please help me, I have been in this place for 3 months and it makes my whole upstairs stink if I leave the door open, and my linens are still in a basket beside the closet. Ugh!

Monica from Ontario. Canada

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would use odor eliminator from Norwex. It is a great product. One bottle would provide you with many spray bottles worth and you can spray it on anything! It has a baby powder scent!

I am amazed at how great charcoal briquettes work for situations like this. Just make sure they are the plain ones without the firestarter added to it. Overnight the odor should be gone. Just put a small container or bowl inside your closet with some of the charcoal briguettes in it. Good luck!

The best way to rid of this smell is to use orange cleaner like tko works great

April 17, 2013 Flag

Shay lives in a small house with 5 cats. They, all 5, use one litterbox. As soon as Shay cleans the litterbox and puts fresh litter in, all 5 cats need to use it. Therefore, the smell never goes away. What can Shay do to eliminate or at least neutralize the odor?

By tm

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The first thing she needs to do is get at least 2 more litter boxes - 3 or 4 would be even better.

Not knowing what kind of litter or litter boxes she has, these suggestions may or may not apply:

1. Scoop the litter daily.

2. Wipe the edges of the litter box with a Clorox wipe or something similar every time you scoop. If it's a hooded box, wipe the edges of the lid also.

3. Mop the floor around the boxes frequently.

4. Put a bathmat or similar washable rug in front of the boxes to catch stray litter and wash it once a week.

5. Once a month or so, empty the boxes completely. Scrub, rinse and dry them well and refill. If you don't use scoopable litter, you need to do this one a week.

July 17, 2007 Flag

HELP! My flat is very small and the whole place smells like a litter box! I bought some clumping litter, litter freshener and about a million air fresheners but nothing seems to work.

I love my cat sooo much but I don't think I can deal with this stink!

One thing about the clumping litter though, now I've been using it for 2 days - OMG my cat does the HUGEst wee's! Are they normally so big?

Kirstie from UK

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Pets Pet OdorsDecember 19, 2013
Black cat in a litter box.
Kitty Litter Tips and Tricks
Homemade Cat Litter Box
Homemade Cat Litter Box Ideas
Cat in Litter Box
Cat Not Using the Litter Box
Cat exiting a litter box.
Cat Litter Mat Reviews
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 17, 2017 at 1:57:06 PM on 10.0.2.99 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.