Is Peppermint Oil Harmful to Birds?

I am thinking of using peppermint oil to rid an aviary of mice. Will it harm my birds?

By buckshot

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Here are the benefits of some of the essential oils:

Ylang Ylang is relaxing. Eucalyptus aids with respiratory problems (Toxic to birds);

peppermint, rosemary and thyme are energizing,

lemon, tea tree oil* and cedarwood are purifying; ( Note to Bird Owners: *Tea Tree Essential has caused paralysis in birds when the dosage administered was too high. As safe doses have not been established, it's best not to use this essential oil around your birds. )

peppermint, rosemar and ginger clear your mind;

lemon helps you concentrate;

peppermint and spearmint helps with headaches.

Nutmeg, Patchouli (one of my favorites) and Ylang Ylang increase sensuality. (In addition to which, I love their smell) good luck.

Pure Peppermint oil extrememly strong & I would bet that it would be harmful to birds. The best thing to rid any place of mice is a good mouser. A cat!

There are lots of good indoor-outdoor cats in shelters just waiting for a good home. Our whole neighborhood had a very nasty mole problem, but after we got our cat we have the only yard on the block without moles!

Answer

Pets BirdsFebruary 17, 2010
Disposing of Used Motor Oil, Used Motor Oil in a Gallon Jug
Disposing of Used Motor Oil
Peppermint Bark
Peppermint Bark Recipes
Peppermint Oil
Making Peppermint Oil
Peppermint Oil
Buying Peppermint Oil
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 27, 2016 at 8:51:17 AM on 10.0.0.57 in 527 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.