Underarm Stains on Shirts

How do you remove armpit stains from shirts? Are there any additives you can add to the wash cycle to keep them from developing?

By Leslie from Riverton, WY

Perioxide - If the shirt is light colored. Peroxide can sometimes fade darker colors. You can either pour it on, or spray it on. It's best to let it sit for a few minutes before laundering. I'll spray it on, then let it sit for the time it takes my washer to fill up. I buy the peroxide when it's on sale at 2 bottles for $1 at Wallgreens or a local drug store. I then put it in a well marked spray bottle & keep it in my laundry area. It's good to remove any organic stain (for example, it will remove grape juice, but not grape kool-aid which has an artificial dye).

Oxyclean in the wash cycle can also help. Another thing that can help is for the shirt's owner to exfoliate their armpits once a week by scrubbing with a hand full of plain sugar while in the shower to remove built up deodorant & old skin cells & to use regular deodorant in place of an antiperspirant.

Try soaking the area with white vinegar / baking soda paste and let it sit for a day then launder as usual but add a little more vinegar and baking soda to the water. It worked for me.

I have been using cold water Tide with amazing results. I put a small amount and rub the insides of the shirts and wash inside out. I also use around the collar area. I line dry and/or use a rack to dry shirts. I find they last longer and the underarm odor is not set by the heat of dryer.