Using RIT Dye in a Washing Machine

Why don't my clothes get dark enough when I dye them in the washer?

By Dayle from Memphis, TN

Best Answer

I've tried this and found the water in the washer didn't get hot enough and didn't stay in the machine long enough (rinse cycle kicks in after 10 or 15 minutes) for dark results. You also need several packages when using the washer.

I got way better results by using a bucket with very hot water and hand stirring and leaving the cloth in for a longer time, until I was satisfied with the result (Or you shut the machine off before it goes into the rinsing cycle, until the dye is dark enough ). Hope this helps.

Best Answer

I agree that there are probably 2 things wrong.

1. You need more dye in the washer because there is probably more water there - even on the lowest setting than 1 box or bottle of dye requires.

2. The dye doesn't stay in the washer long enough.

To correct this, set a timer for slightly less time than the longest wash cycle. For example, if your longest cycle is 15 minutes, set the timer for 12 minutes.

Then the timer goes off, turn the washer off and reset it back to 15 minutes. You might have to do this 3 or 4 times.

Just be sure to reset it each time before the washer starts to drain.

Anonymous

Sometimes you need to use more than one box, also the water to dye ratio might be off from what is suggested on the box of RIT when done in the washing machine. Dying in you washing machine can dye your washing machine, I would suggest using a rubbermaid tub instead.

I agree with more dye. The mistake I made one time was not adding the salt to aid in the dye working especially with cottons.

I think using two packages of the dye is a good idea. When I dye clothes in the washer, I make sure I follow all of the instructions on the box. I also mix the dye in a disposable cup with some water before I put it into the washer. Then after it is all done, I leave the items in the washer and wash them as I would normally do (except without soap), using cold water and on a regular cycle. I think this helps to set the color, and it also helps get rid of any dye that may be left in the washer. Good luck!

The best way to dye clothes the colour you want is to find a big pot, fill it with water and boil the dye and clothes together on the stove until the desired colour is reached.

The thing I want to dye can't be soaked in hot water because I don't want it to shrink. So, will RIT work in cold water?

I don't know about the quality of other dyes, but I was not impressed with RIT. The colour on the box isn't even remotely what you will get. Their "Dark Green" is some wacky bluish greyish green, and this was after using two packs, salt and boiling water and soaking/stirring for two hours (the fabric was under 3 meters and an average weight cotton blend). Even their kelly green lacks intensity. I guess this is why RIT doesn't provide fabric swatches to craft stores - you would then know how crappy it would turn out and not buy it. I think the only thing this dye is good for is renewing the intensity of faded black clothing. That I've done and been happy with the results.