TransplantingGardening

Transplanting Trees

I would like to transplant trees from a lot next to us to our property and every time I try this the tree dies. I don't know what to do. The lot next to us will only be cleared one day and the owner told us to help ourselves to anything we wanted. What should I do?

By Cindi from Oklahoma City, OK

Wait until the trees are dormant for the winter. Try to keep as much dirt around them as you can. Be sure the hole you put them is deep enough, and, personally, I pour enough water in the hole to make mud and then plant the tree. Put plenty of dirt around the tree and then add more water to be sure the dirt is in contact with all the roots. Mulch.

In the spring when the tree starts to leaf, add more water if there has been no rain. I have read that the tree should be pruned so it won't have to make so many leaves in the spring. Try one of the gardening sites. My success rate is about 50% for native trees. Good growing.