Emergency Cards to Help Locate People and Pets

Most of us practice fire drills with our family members periodically to make sure everyone knows how to get out of a burning home, and where to meet. But what about your pets? They don't understand the idea that you are trying to teach. So here's what I have done.

I took some 5x7 inch cards and typed in very bold type:

• People: Our names
  • Pets: Each one's species, breed and name, as well as where it would be may be hiding.

I laminated each of these cards and posted on on each door and one on each window that is large enough to come in through. Now when the emergency people come, they know who lives here, and what pets there are, and where to find them.

My dogs are small breeds so I also include where to find their travel cages. If they were larger breeds, I'd include where to find their collars and leashes, which I keep next to the front door on the hall tree.

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

Great Idea! Thanks for sharing. This could save many pets in times of emergencies.

This is a really great idea. Marg from England.

Excellent tip! If there's room, you might even add one-word cautions like "blind" or "wheelchair" for two-footed people, or similar for our four-footed, furry folk.

Pets AdviceNovember 2, 2009
Emergency Reflector
Make Your Own Emergency Reflectors
red first aid bag
Stocking an Avian Emergency Kit
Vintage Hank Aaron Baseball Card Leaning Against Old Baseball
Determining the Value of Baseball Cards