Selecting a Tomato for Canning

For those of you who garden and can food, what variety of tomato is best for canning? I am looking for a tomato that has a big yield, great flavor, and isn't too watery. Ideally, it would be a paste tomato with great taste, if there is such a thing. I have been growing heirlooms, and love them but, as you know, they don't have the best yield.

By Copasetic 1 from North Royalton, OH

I believe Roma is the tomatoe you're looking for. Meaty, prolific, cans well, preferred for sauces.

I second the Roma suggestion. They are small and flavorful and grew well for me last year. I hear them suggested all the time for uses like this.

Can't wait for tomato season! Yum!

I like Roma, and Amish paste. My neighbor grows a paste tomato that is just as good as these, but has much superior flavor. But she saves her seeds and grows her own plants, and all she can remember about these is that they are Polish. I'm thinking of trying Opalkas since they have a reputation for really good flavor. What I'd really love is a yellow paste tomato. I think the sauces made from these would be beautiful. Thank you for your recommendation. Have you tried Opalka tomatoes?

Food and Recipes CanningJanuary 11, 2011
Jar of canned papaya balls in syrup.
Canning Papayas
Freezing Bell Peppers, Canning Bell Peppers, Peeling Bell Peppers, Drying Bell Peppers, Storing Bell Peppers, Growing Bell Peppers, Selecting Good Bell Peppers, Red, Green and Yellow Bell Peppers
Selecting Good Bell Peppers
Freshly Canned Pears Near Pears in a Bowl
Canning Pears
Pile of fresh cherries in front of a jar of cherry jam.
Canning Cherries
🎄
🍂