We have found several snakes, about 18 to 24 inches long in our yard. They are brownish. The other day I found two of them in my pool skimmer basket; one swimming and one had its head off, apparently by the other one?
Could these be a type of moccasin or another poisonous snake?
By Linda (Guest Post) 09/01/2004
Contact local animal control and find out which snakes are indigenous to your area and what they look like, and if these are poisonous, how to proceed.
If the snake is dead and you can examine it, look at the scales on the underside (belly) of the snake. If the scales on the underside of the tail go all the way across in a single row , it is a poisonous snake. If they are divided down the center, it is a nonpoisonous snake. Also most poisonous snakes in the U.S. are pit vipers and have a triangular shaped head. One exception is the coral snake found in the deep south. Look up Poisonous snakes on the internet, and you will find pictures that may help you to identify the ones you are finding in your pool.
Harlean from Arkansas
Go to your local hardware store and get Snake Away. Its just sulfer. We put in all around our house. When snakes slide across it, it will burn their belly's and turn the other way.
You have to replace it, after it rains. Good Luck !!
You didn't say where you live. That might make a difference in the type of snake. Contact animal control next time you see a live snake and they will come and get it. In most states, that is what they do. They can also help you to know what type snake it is. Meanwhile, look up snakes in your area on the internet. It's quite simple.
Do you have a picture of the snake? The one with out a head fell victom to some other animal or possibly the pump on the pool, snakes swallow whole, they do not bite off body parts. Snakes get thirsty like other animals do, most likely the snake wanted a drink and fell in and could not get out. Fix some type of ladder that will allow the snake to crawl out of the water and it will be gone by morning. Find a "Have A Heart trap", capture it and release it away from your home. Don"t Kill it, that is a waste of a valuable creature. The picture attached is of a Copperhead, as you can see, they are NOT the killers they are made up to be, I have several as pets and have been a Herpetologist for the past 39 years.
One more thing: Snakes are NOT "POISONOUS". They are VENOMOUS, if anyone uses the term poisonous when describing any snake, do not listen to them! They are idiots with a wannabee complex. poison is swallowed, venom is injected there is a big difference and professionals use the proper language.
You can waste your money on sulfur products if you wish but they are useless. Snakes require food and shelter, if you have a clean yard without piles of rocks or fire wood there will be no place for the snake to seek shelter. Next is food, mice and rats are their main diet items. If you keep your garbage to a minimum and do not have a mouse or rat problem there will be no food for the snake. After removing the two things they require, the snakes will leave of their own valition = Problem solved with out killing!
Just about anything will come to get a drink from your pool if it's not screened. We see dragonflies, bees, wasps, etc. We even get an occasional large crane since we live near water all around. I guess they go adventuring from their water home and get thirsty so they look for the nearest pool. Fortunately we haven't found snakes or alligators in the pool yet.
I faced this every spring when opening the pool and I'm terrified of snakes. My solution was to use a lengeth of board propped against the pool side. The snakse soon left.