Weezing Bird

My bird has been weezing at times, fluffing his feathers, and sometimes standing on one leg. I've tried antibiotics, but he hasn't changed very much in his behavior, but has luckily stopped spending his time at the bottom of the cage. Does anyone know of any good home remedies or antibiotics that could help him?

Jade

It's move away from life at the bottom of his cage is a good sign he's improving. How long have you administered antibiotics? You need to keep putting antibiotics in its water dish until it improves which could take weeks. Is the antibiotic especially made for birds? Along w/that, consider getting it birdie liquid vitamins to add to its water dish; change the water every day. You might also cover its cage on three sides, like w/a large beach towel. This prevents drafts. Sitting low on its perch also signals some sort of illness. Along w/the beach towel over three sides of its cage, you could add a heating pad... place it underneath the beach towel on top; set it at a low setting. Place your hand inside the cage at about perch level... do you feel the heating pad's heat? To further help your bird, you could place another towel atop the cage so that part of it hangs over the top; this will help keep in the heat. That really helps when they're sick or during the winter months. Another help... get the type of seeds that are coated w/extra nutrients plus all the 'fancy' extras like dried greens and fruit; Oat groats. In fact, get every 'extra' available for improving the bird's life and help it live longer. One of my parakeets lived 14.5 years. Make sure the room it lives in is kept at a steady temperature... around 75-85, depending on the season. Temperature extremes are very stressful for them. In the summer, let the air circulate around the cage naturally; do not point a fan at its cage... drafts are stressful and can make them sick. Keep us posted.

I would suggest putting a warm air humidifier in the room with your bird. If your bird produces "powder", be sure to clean the living area daily. Give plenty of clean water & good food. Homeopathic Spongia Tosta tablets (30X or 30c) available at the health-food store can be added to the drinking water, 1 tablet per bowl, etc. is also useful. It will not interact with any other meds you may be giving. I give my bird homeopathics all the time with great success.

Best of Luck.

a little bit of technical difficulties. (this might be my 2nd post if the first didn't work). i'll definitely use those antibiotics, and we've tried the heating pad, the nutrients, and some vitamins, too. and yes, the antibiotics are for birds. we'll definitely do all we can. He's been improving, moving around a bit more although he's been sleeping and fluffing his feathers- plus our other two birds are taking turns huddling with him. he's been eating more, and we give him fruit and bread. I'll definitely have to check out those tablets, and i haven't seen any "powder" yet. I'll stay posted, and thanks so much for all the advice!

This is my second feedback, first one did not get through, Try checking out www.exoticpetvet.net/avian/topten.html

This site gives a valuable insight into how household items can give off fumes that damage the respiratory tracks of housebirds.

Hi, could the bird be reacting to cooking with a non stick pan? If it is heated up too hot it causes problems with birds and could even kill them.

To be safe PLEASE take your bird to a bird dr. there are many veternarians that specialize in birds . ALSO DO NOT USE ANY PRODUCT BY HARTZ MOUNTAIN , NOT FOR YOUR BIRD OR CATS AND DOGS !!!!! ROSE

that's interesting, but my bird's are too far away from that kind of thing. tho, i'll definitely have to keep that in mind. hmm. i really never thought of household items doing so much damage as bad as that. i'll have to check that out. thanks for the feed back! ^_^

i'll remember that. thank you! another question though, is it a good thing when my two other birds began to huddle together with the sick one with their feathers fluffed? we keep thinking it's to keep him warm, but i want to make sure that they're not getting ill, too.

Birds have very delicate respiratory systems. Colognes and perfumes shouldn't be worn around them. Neither should scented lotions, hairspray or anything scented for that matter. Cooking with teflon is a no-no, burning candles, using air or carpet freshners is bad as is using the self cleaning feature on your oven. Some of the things I've listed can cause immediate death.

Anytime a bird fluffs and sits ont he bottom of it's cage it is usually not feeling well. First and foremost is to quarantine it from any other birds in the house. The next thing would be to keep the bird warm and keep it's fluid intake up. A little gatorade can be helpful keeping electrolytes up. Next, call an avian vet! Parrots can get pneumonia which can be fatal if not treated. You said the bird was on antibiotics. Were they prescribed by your vet? I am guessing it was Baytril but I could be wrong.

Paula

Pets BirdsNovember 24, 2006
Homemade Wild Bird Food
Homemade Wild Bird Food
Seasonal Bird
Counting Seasonal Birds
Bird Eating from Bird Feeder
Keeping The Ground Under a Bird Feeder Clean
Recycled Bird Feeder
Recycled Bird Feeder Ideas
🎄