Pantry Turkey Collage

This was a kindergarten project that my son had this year. My older son remembered doing it a few years before and wanted to do another one. Before we knew it, the whole family was making one. It was very fun and I think they turned out nicely.

I ransacked my spice cabinet and pantry for any interestingly shaped or colored items. Then, we used white glue to stick them down. You could use it directly out of the bottle but I watered it down slightly and used paintbrushes to get it in just the right spots.Be careful, this is a messy one and the spices can get a little overpowering if the kids use too heavy a hand. When you are finished with one section, just tap off the excess. We started tapping directly into the garbage after awhile.

Here is a list of my favorite items to use. I only used food items but there is no reason you couldn't use glitter, pebbles, sticks or anything else.
  • wild rice
  • white rice (long or short grain)
  • lentils
  • navy beans
  • pastas
  • coffee, ground and beans
  • peppercorns
  • sea or coarse salt
  • popcorn
  • ground spices (cinnamon, cumin, mustard
  • red pepper flakes
  • whole spices (coriander, anise, cloves)
  • oatmeal
  • cereal (cheerios, rice krispies)
  • barley

Just be sure to use things that are dried and will not mold or are too heavy for the glue to hold.

Leave time for it to dry, overnight or a couple of days if it has a lot of glue.

This project could be adapted to several different projects but I think the pantry ingredients suit themselves especially well to Thanksgiving and autumn.

Have fun!

Jess in Oregon

Editor's Note: Print out a clip art or use a turkey coloring book page for this project. Clear lines and sections will work best.

Good idea, thanks.

Hi Jess,

What a unique idea.....something for the whole family. And the variations are endless!

Harlean from Arkansas

Jess,

I printed out the directions, but was wondering if you could furnish the picture that you used as a base for this turkey. My great grandkids would love to make this.

Harlean from Arkansas

http://sunniebunniezz.com/activities/thakcbk03.htm

Is where I found the image.

I made this one a little bigger if anyone wants to use it.

Hi Jess!

Thanks for putting the turkey up for us.

Harlean from Arkansas

I really like this one ! I wish I'd seen it last month. Happened across it this morning through a google image search for "pantry crafts". But it could also be done with designs other than the turkey & hung in a sunny window so the spices/herbs would scent the room! Thanks for a really a great idea!

Photos Holiday ThanksgivingNovember 25, 2009
A carved turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in the Microwave
Mosaic made with rice and beans.
Making Mosaics With Dry Foods
A cooked turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in a Slow Cooker (Crockpot)
Carving a Turkey
Using Your Turkey Bones for Soup
🎉
🎄