Self-Watering Using Milk Jugs

I already asked this as a reply, but am now asking here about the watering tip using a milk jug. I've had to fill mine repeatedly every few hours. They each only have 1 very tiny hole on the bottom. Why is this happening? I thought I was supposed to be able to save water and maybe some time. Thanks for your help.

Hardiness Zone: 6b

By jaris16 from Quakertown, PA

Your soil isn't packed tight enough around the jug or it's to rocky. Start with moist soil & pack it tightly... You can also use those crystals that hold all the water & put these inside the jug then fill with water. The crystals take a while to dry out & the water will drain more slowly. You can also add liquid fertilizer to the crystals. ... als?gclid=CJTTitTr_JoCFeg65QodgRVrdQ

* Shop around, Prices vary.

Thank you! I'm new to gardening, so never heard of gel crystals until you mentioned them. So I don't know how to use them, how many, when, etc--basically, I don't know anything about them. I called the place you sent websites for, but before I order any from him, I still have more questions. I need to know if they're completely safe for a totally 100% organic garden, & safe to leave there after the season is over, since it's a community garden.

If you use milk jugs with tight fitting tops they will not drain as quickly.

Home and Garden Gardening IrrigationJune 8, 2009
Man Greeting the Dawn
Building Self Confidence and Self Esteem
Self-Publishing a Book
Self-Publishing a Book
Plastic Milk Jug
Crafts Using Milk Jugs
Milk Jug Snoopy
Milk Jug Snoopy Craft