Garbanzo Beans for Baby Finger Food

As the mother of a teenager, an 11-month old, and the owner of a home medical transcription service, I stay pretty busy, and I'm always looking for shortcuts. One thing I do to save some time (and mess) is give the baby finger foods for some of her meals. I try not to give her anything with sugars, chemicals, etc. whenever possible, and we try to keep our grocery bill down.

We have found that chick peas (garbanzo beans) fit very nicely into our lives (and her tiny hands). They are very inexpensive, full of protein, and a non-messy finger food (I cut them in half to avoid possible choking hazards).

They are also an easy on-the-go snack. I can toss them in my food processor as well to make hummus and spread on a wrap and roll it up. It's a fun food for her, and I feel better knowing that she is eating well, learning to feed herself, and we did not have to break the bank on pre-packaged baby food.

By Jenn from Charlottesville, VA

Oh, it's sooo nice to read of a mother who isn't touting the latest sugar cereal or toaster pasteries as the quick and easy way to feed baby! My boys would pass the cookie isle in the grocery store in favor of the broccoli and still do as adults. To paraphrase a Bible verse, "start them out eating right and they won't depart from it." Lucky baby you have!

When my daughter was small she loved canned Black Beans.

Garbanzos are a favorite snack of all three of my children. They eat them by the handful. I do, too. Yummy!

Parenting Toddler and Preschooler NutritionJuly 24, 2009
Canning Green Beans, Freezing Green Beans, Growing Green Beans, Storing Green Beans, Drying Green Beans
Storing Green Beans
Freezing Baby Food. Jar of Baby Food with Spoon
Freezing Baby Food
Garbanzo Beans
Recipes Using Garbanzo Beans
Garbanzo Bean Soup
Garbanzo Bean Soup Recipes