Is the Taste of Evaporated Milk Noticeable When Used in Cooking?

From years ago I've never liked the taste of evaporated milk. I find so many recipes that call for it, and I wonder if it still tastes like evaporated milk if used in a recipe?

By Carol from Parrish, FL

Evaporated milk will always smell and taste like evaporated milk. Many years ago when I was a kid, my mother used it undiluted in some things and diluted it with water for some things. Nobody in our family complained about the taste, so evidentally we didn't notice it. However, if a recipe calls for it I would be willing to bet the other ingredients will cover the taste. Some of the things that I can remember my mother using it for was when she made creamed potatoes or creamed peas. She used this instead of cream.

I really doubt you could pick it out from inside a pie or something like that. I never notice the taste, myself.

Evaporated milk is simply regular milk that has been processed to remove the water from it so that it's concentrated. When you make a recipe with any milk product you're not going to taste just the milk product but the flavors of all the ingredients blended together. If a recipe calls for evaporated milk I highly recommend using it or the recipe could be a flop. You most likely eat all sorts of meals that are made with evaporated milk and simply don't know it's an ingredient in them. ;-)

You won't notice anything except it makes things creamier than just using regular milk and it's more stable to cook with at higher temperatures. I have a neighbor who also dislikes the taste of evaporated milk, but she cooks with it and is happy with the results. Try it, you'll like it. :-)

When I had a house full of kids it was hard for me to keep enough fresh milk in the house and we lived out in the country. I always bought a case of evaproated milk to use for cooking and baking so I wouldn't have to use up the fresh milk. No one ever complained and I really don't think they could tall the difference.

I make gravy with it, and love it. I also use it to make puddings, cakes, biscuits. I cannot taste it, nor can I smell it.

Food and Recipes Food Tips DairyNovember 11, 2010
Collection of dried and canned foods including box of powdered milk.
Making Powdered Milk Taste Better
Mug of slighty lumpy Greek yogurt.
Greek Yogurt Recipes
 Evaporated Milk
Substitutions for Milk in Recipes