Dawn Ice Repellent

By gyjones 1

I see lots of talk, but not the original information. I need the proportions and how to for putting Dawn dishwashing liquid on the sidewalk to avoid slipping.

By gyjones from Colorado Springs, CO

Filter Sort

By Cricket 205 895 Flag

I lived in Colorado Springs for a while, and can't imagine the sense in using Dawn to prevent slipping. It seems to me that even if it did keep the snow from accumulating and the ice from forming, the dish soap itself would be slippery!

I've always used non-clumping cat litter. Gives enough traction that you don't slip and slide. When I lived in the Springs, I used to keep a couple of bags of it in my trunk too, for if I got stuck in the snow. It was great for giving me enough traction to get my car out!

Enjoy the Springs tho! I miss it there. Still have family there too. So many things to do there all year round! And the views! OMG!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By ellienc 3 Flag

I just read two articles on google and comments on both said that it did not work. I was leery because if the ice was melted what about the slippy dawn?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Question: Using Dawn Detergent to Melt Ice

What mixture do you use to melt ice with Dawn detergent?

By Ronald

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Marie Brack 131 Flag

If these recipes work it's because of the rubbing alcohol. Sadly, the water you just added to your sidewalk or steps will re-freeze and you're worse off than before.

Dawn cuts grease, not ice. Salt melts ice.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: Dawn Ice Repellant

Hi, I was wondering how much Dawn (dish detergent) is added to the water in a spray bottle that will stop ice from forming on the steps after it is sprayed. I lost the information on it.

Thank you.

Eileen from Ma.

Archive: Dawn Ice Repellent

I was wondering how much Dawn (dish detergent) is added to the water in a spray bottle that will stop ice from forming on the steps after it is sprayed. I lost the information on it.

Thank you,
Eileen from MA

Feedback:

RE: Dawn Ice Repellant

I found this post:
feystricksofthetrade.blogspot.com/2008/01/icy-steps.html

"Instead of treating your icy walk with salt, which can kill the grass, mix 1 teaspoon of dishwashing liquid with 1/2 gallon of warm water and pour it over your steps and sidewalk. The dishwashing liquid helps prevent the ice from re-freezing. To make the ice melt faster, add a tablespoon of rubbing alcohol (or add beer, but really - who wants to waste beer?) to the mixture." (01/04/2009)

By chriself

Make Your Own MiscellaneousNovember 1, 2009
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Two kids standing in the rain wearing colorful rain boots.
Making Fabric Water Repellent
Spider on web with dew drops on it.
Spider Repellent Recipes
Ant Repellent
Ant Repellent Reviews
Removing Ice from Your Windshield, Gloved hand scraping icy windshield.
Removing Ice from Your Windshield
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 4:53:23 PM on 10.0.0.240 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestionsCommentsArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings