Dawn Ice Repellent

I see lots of talk, but not the original information. I need the proportions and how to for putting Dawn dishwashing liquid on the sidewalk to avoid slipping.

By gyjones from Colorado Springs, CO

I lived in Colorado Springs for a while, and can't imagine the sense in using Dawn to prevent slipping. It seems to me that even if it did keep the snow from accumulating and the ice from forming, the dish soap itself would be slippery!

I've always used non-clumping cat litter. Gives enough traction that you don't slip and slide. When I lived in the Springs, I used to keep a couple of bags of it in my trunk too, for if I got stuck in the snow. It was great for giving me enough traction to get my car out!

Enjoy the Springs tho! I miss it there. Still have family there too. So many things to do there all year round! And the views! OMG!

I just read two articles on google and comments on both said that it did not work. I was leery because if the ice was melted what about the slippy dawn?

January 28, 2013 Flag

What mixture do you use to melt ice with Dawn detergent?

By Ronald

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

https://www.goo  1024&bih=677

There you go.

If these recipes work it's because of the rubbing alcohol. Sadly, the water you just added to your sidewalk or steps will re-freeze and you're worse off than before.

Dawn cuts grease, not ice. Salt melts ice.

December 20, 2008 Flag

Hi, I was wondering how much Dawn (dish detergent) is added to the water in a spray bottle that will stop ice from forming on the steps after it is sprayed. I lost the information on it.

Thank you.

Eileen from Ma.
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 1, 2009 Flag

I was wondering how much Dawn (dish detergent) is added to the water in a spray bottle that will stop ice from forming on the steps after it is sprayed. I lost the information on it.

Thank you,
Eileen from MA

Answers:

Dawn Ice Repellant

I found this post:
feystricksofthetrade.blogspot.com/2008/01/icy-steps.html

"Instead of treating your icy walk with salt, which can kill the grass, mix 1 teaspoon of dishwashing liquid with 1/2 gallon of warm water and pour it over your steps and sidewalk. The dishwashing liquid helps prevent the ice from re-freezing. To make the ice melt faster, add a tablespoon of rubbing alcohol (or add beer, but really - who wants to waste beer?) to the mixture." (01/04/2009)

By chriself

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Make Your Own MiscellaneousNovember 1, 2009
Two kids standing in the rain wearing colorful rain boots.
Making Fabric Water Repellent
dawn for fleas
Dawn Dishsoap For Fleas
Spider on web with dew drops on it.
Spider Repellent Recipes
Removing Ice from Your Windshield, Gloved hand scraping icy windshield.
Removing Ice from Your Windshield
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 23, 2017 at 5:05:33 PM on 10.0.2.252 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.