Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Dawn Ice Repellent

I see lots of talk, but not the original information. I need the proportions and how to for putting Dawn dishwashing liquid on the sidewalk to avoid slipping.

By gyjones from Colorado Springs, CO

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By ellienc08/03/2013

I just read two articles on google and comments on both said that it did not work. I was leery because if the ice was melted what about the slippy dawn?

By Cricket [201]11/01/2009

I lived in Colorado Springs for a while, and can't imagine the sense in using Dawn to prevent slipping. It seems to me that even if it did keep the snow from accumulating and the ice from forming, the dish soap itself would be slippery!

I've always used non-clumping cat litter. Gives enough traction that you don't slip and slide. When I lived in the Springs, I used to keep a couple of bags of it in my trunk too, for if I got stuck in the snow. It was great for giving me enough traction to get my car out!

Enjoy the Springs tho! I miss it there. Still have family there too. So many things to do there all year round! And the views! OMG!

Here are questions related to Dawn Ice Repellent.

Question: Using Dawn Detergent to Melt Ice

What mixture do you use to melt ice with Dawn detergent?

By Ronald

Most Recent Answer

By Marie Brack08/07/2013

If these recipes work it's because of the rubbing alcohol. Sadly, the water you just added to your sidewalk or steps will re-freeze and you're worse off than before.

Dawn cuts grease, not ice. Salt melts ice.

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Dawn Ice Repellant

Hi, I was wondering how much Dawn (dish detergent) is added to the water in a spray bottle that will stop ice from forming on the steps after it is sprayed. I lost the information on it.

Thank you.

Eileen from Ma.

Archive: Dawn Ice Repellent

I was wondering how much Dawn (dish detergent) is added to the water in a spray bottle that will stop ice from forming on the steps after it is sprayed. I lost the information on it.

Thank you,
Eileen from MA

RE: Dawn Ice Repellant

I found this post: feystricksofthetrade.blogspot.com/2008/01/icy-steps.html

"Instead of treating your icy walk with salt, which can kill the grass, mix 1 teaspoon of dishwashing liquid with 1/2 gallon of warm water and pour it over your steps and sidewalk. The dishwashing liquid helps prevent the ice from re-freezing. To make the ice melt faster, add a tablespoon of rubbing alcohol (or add beer, but really - who wants to waste beer?) to the mixture." (01/04/2009)

By chriself