FloorsCleaning

Alternatives To Manufacturer's Hardwood Floor Cleaner

Does anyone have a really good way to clean pre-finished hardwood floors other than purchasing the expensive manufacturer's brand of cleaner? It costs me a fortune to use their cleaner and I know someone must have the solution.

NanaBeth from Dawsonville, GA

Make a big post of Tea the night before. The tannin in the tea kills the dust mites.

I used to clean houses for extra $$ when I was a full time stay at home momma. I used a vinegar and water mixture to clean hardwoods. Worked wonders!

I also just use vinegar & water, with some essential oils for scent. Works great, is cheap!

Not a cleaning tip , but just remember if there is a warranty on the floor that it will be void if you don't follow their directions. We were going to try and get a test floor from where my husband works, but after much discussion and figuring, we just couldn't afford to worry about all the specifics that were required.

Method Almond floor cleaner is awesome but might be expensive for some. I buy it in bulk whenever possible. Does not harm the environment, works great, and smells awesome.

I agree with the tea tip. I have used it on my wood floors and furniture for years. I brew a bag or two, depending on how dark the wood is, let the tea cool, dip in a rag and clean, then use another cloth to dry....I just wring the rag out good when doing the floor, I only go over with a dry cloth when doing furniture. The tea treatment is actually good for wood, and it looks gorgeous!

HINT HINT .. DOESNT THE MAJORITY OF HARD WOOD FLOOR CLEANERS SMELL A BIT LIKE WINDEX. GRANDMA DIDNT HAVE HOME DEPOT. SHE USED WHITE DISTILLED VINEGAR. ONE CUP TO A GALLON OF WATER TO BE EXACT

Tread carefully; using cleaners other than those recommended by the manufacturer can ruin finish or cause adhesion problems if you decide to refinish.