Treating a Sunburn

For about 2 weeks I've had a sunburn on my scalp. It's annoying and it looks like I have dandruff. It's flaky and looks really bad. I read online to put aloe After Sun on it. I found this stuff around my house called Key Lime Lotion and it's an after sun product. I put a glop in my hair, used a comb and brushed it through. I have to leave this in for 2-3 hours. Is there something easier I can do to get rid of the flakiness, without my hair looking greasy?

By Lovey from MD

Best Answer

The best thing I've ever tried I just learned on a site called Earth Clinic; however, i don't know how it will work for an old burn because I use it for new burns to prevent peeling. Won't hurt to try though. Just take apple cider vinegar (or white will do if you don't have access) and put it on a cotton ball. Gently apply to the burned area and let it dry. It is the only thing I have ever used that seems to instantly allow that trapped heat to escape and your skin goes from hot to the touch to cool to the touch. It prevents blistering and peeling too.

For the dry skin thing, I use extra virgin olive oil... just like someone else said. I use it for an everyday moisturizer too... even on my scalp and face. If you put it on straight out of the shower, it won't be too thick and heavy. I just blot any areas that are too thick with a towel and it feels great!

If you're worried about your hair looking greasy then try (overnight) raw, unpasteurized, unfiltered honey. Just rub some on and wash it out in the morning. Raw honey helps wounds heal so much faster than on their own. Also, I heard that coconut oil works wonders for any sun/skin related thing but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Coconuts aren't easily accessible here :).

By the way, if you tried or are going to try soaking your hair in olive oil and it doesn't wash out easily, try rinsing it with ACV. After shampooing, dump about a cup on your head (keep your eyes closed! Ouch!) and try to let it set for about 1 minute before rinsing it out. I know it is a great solvent for oily or greasy things because I once put Bag Balm on my scalp to try overnight and when I woke up my hair was matted down with it. I washed it six times within two days and it still didn't come out till someone told me to try vinegar. It came out on the first rinse then.

Hi try soaking your hair in olive oil one evening then washing it off that may help it helps cradle cap in babies. Sudo cream helps also.

Good luck

Just using your regular hair conditioner after you wash your hair, put a little in the hair and not rinse it out. The head, hair are both damaged items and need special treatment. If your hair feels good with the HC, you will keep your hands out of it, it will snare up the flakes, and soon be on the mend. Make sure you wear a hat! If you have thin hair or bald, make sure you put sunscreen on the head. Cancer is more bother than the time it takes to prevent it.

The best prevention in the first place is to wear a hat/cap or head scarf when you're out in the sun. Continued sun burning even on your head can cause skin cancer :-(

This flakiness will go away within a week or so once the burn is completely healed and the natural skin sloughing has finished taking place. Just 'gently' comb the scalp once a day before shampooing and that will help loosen the dead skin cells more quickly.

Try apple cider vinager on areas. Or cold tea bags. Good luck Invest in sunscreen

Remedies for a Sunburn
Health & Beauty Beauty Skin Care SunburnsJune 8, 2010
A cat scratching itself because it has fleas.
Treating a Cat With Fleas
Powdery Mildew on Plants
Treating Plants with Powdery Mildew
Woman hugging an aloe frond
Using Aloe Vera for Sunburns
Treating the Soil After Tomato Blight
Treating Soil After Tomato Blight