Treating an Infant's Cold

Category Health
Treating your infant's cold is quite different than caring for yourself or an older child. Many medications can not be given to infants. This is a guide about treating an infant's cold.

I need homemade cold remedies for a 3 month old baby.

By Sindu

Answers

Best Answer

I have a 5 month old and I use the baby vapor bath and a bulb syringe to clear out the boogers. I would say though if the baby has a fever you should call the doctor.

Best Answer

You shouldn't give anything, never mind untested ideas from a website to a three month old baby without checking with your doctor. Use a bulb syringe and call your doctor for ideas.

Best Answer

A 3 month old infant is different from a 5 month old. At this stage there are illnesses that must be ruled out before treating a newborn( a baby three months old or younger). A fever at this age is serious and must be evaluated. most likely it is nothing , but do not take chances. Saving money is not a concern at this age. Do not take advice from self-appointed healers.

A family physician

What can I do to help my little one with a cold? He is 4 months old.

By Stella Bella from Manchester, WA

Answers

Best Answer

You can use children's Vicks Vapo Rub. Put some on the child's chest and then put pajamas on the child. Then put some Vapo Rub on the soles of the child's feet and put socks on the child. This is one of the things that really works when the child is congested. Also, drinking orange juice. You can put the juice in the child's bottle...Hope this helps. Bless you and yours.

Anonymous
Best Answer

As a mother of 4, I treated a lot of babies with colds. I always put Vick's on my chest. When they nursed, drank from a bottle or just slept on me they were inhaling the vapors without having a salve directly on them.

Best Answer

At that age you really need to take him to the doctor. Most medicines over the counter are not recommended for children under one. Plus we don't know anything about his health. Please take him to a doctor and if you can't afford it go to your local health dept.

Are there any home remedies for a head cold in a 1 year baby with a stuffy nose?

By Melly from GB

Answers:

Treating an Infant With a Stuffy Nose

Call a pediatrician and talk to a nurse. (10/17/2010)

By MCW

Treating an Infant With a Stuffy Nose

They don't usually like it, but saline spray and a bulb syringe work wonders. I also find with my kids that letting them splash around in a warm bath will usually clear their noses right out. Lots and lots of clear fluids will also help to loosen things up. If those don't work, talk to your doctor. (10/18/2010)

By slr5113

Treating an Infant With a Stuffy Nose

Try hypericum, available in health food stores. My sister used it on my granddaughter and it worked well. (10/18/2010)

By blondie29697

Treating an Infant With a Stuffy Nose

Attach a handkerchief (with something safe like a nappy (diaper) pin) that has a dab of eucalyptus oil on it to the baby's clothes. Eucalyptus fumes help clear the nose and throat, easing bub's distress. Do not take internally. (10/18/2010)

By merry50

Treating an Infant With a Stuffy Nose

When my son was a baby and he would get a cough, or stuffy nose I would rub a little bit of Unkers Salve on the soles of his feet and put socks on him. That always worked great. (10/18/2010)

By Cindyc

Treating an Infant With a Stuffy Nose

Eucalyptus or anything with a scent should never be near an infant or child. Anyone with a respiratory condition that stuffs them up could also have a breathing issue from these items. There is the potential for asthma and allergy attacks will be set off. Unless you have an eppi pen handy, don't do that.

On the market are a number of safe things to use along the lines of moisturizers to be applied as a dropper or 2 in the nasal cavity. For my granddaughter's first year of life, she had not a simple sniffle. We used a dropper with Ocean 2-3 times a day for her and this rinses the nose, etc. clear.

Do not make your own for babies/young children. Use the commercial product or ask your pharmacist to mix it for you. (Most are compounding pharmacists that would not have the problem, but big box pharmacies would direct you to the product on the shelf.) (10/18/2010)

By TandT Grandma

Treating an Infant With a Stuffy Nose

If you are still breastfeeding of have any breastmilk left in your freezer from breastfeeding you can take an eye dropper fill it with breast milk and squirt it up both sides of the baby's nose. This does wonders and will immediately clear a stuffy nose. I learned this from an article in "Mothering". Peppermint tea with some sugar or molasses works very well too just make it strong. Really do try the breastmilk though it's amazing and weird, but amazingly works for eye infections too. (10/19/2010)

By tigra

Treating an Infant With a Stuffy Nose

Blondie29697 Hypericum is saint john's wort and is used in adults for depression, I wouldn't know how safe it would be for little ones, please double check that to be on the safe side. (10/19/2010)

By Diamondee