Making a Shell Crochet Infant Hat
The shell stitch is a favorite to use when making infant hats and blankets. This is a page about making a shell crochet infant hat
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
March 8, 2016
I wanted to make a hat for a gift and needed a larger infant size. I googled on the internet for patterns and found this one. It is suppose to fit infants 6-12 months. The shell detail would show much better with yarn that isn't fuzzy. The yarn is very soft and fun. The video said this pattern takes just under a half hour, it took me an hour.
Total Time: one hour
- 1 skein yarn
- 1 yarn needle
- 1 pair sewing shears
- 1 size K crochet hook
- Chain five and join in first stitch.
- Row 1: Chain 3 counts as first DC, continue to work 11 more DC for a total of 12 DC. Join with a slip stitch in the top of the first chain 3.
- Row 2: Chain 3 counts as one DC in first stitch work another DC in first stitch (* This stitch in done in the same stitch as the chain 3). Now work 2 DC in each stitch all the way around for a total of 24 DC. Join with a slip stitch in top of the chain 3.
- Row 3: * Chain 3 work one DC in first stitch. Work one DC in next stitch, work 2 DC in next stitch, continue this pattern to end of row. Join in the top of the chain 3 with a slip stitch.
- Row 4: Chain 3, work one DC in first stitch that chain 3 comes out of. Work one DC in each of the next 5 stitches. Work 2 DC in next stitch. (Work 1 DC in next 5 stitches then work 2 DC in next stitch, repeat until end of row).
- Row 5: Chain one, single crochet in the first stitch, skip next two stitches, in next stitch work five (5) dc. 5 dc in same stitch is a shell. Skip next two stitches and in next stitch work a single (sc). Skip next two stitches and in next stitch work a shell. (Skip two stitches work sc, skip two stitches work shell, repeat to end of row). Skip final two stitches of row and work a slip stitch in first single crochet (sc).
- Row 6: Chain 3 (equals a dc), in same stitch chain 3 comes out of work two more dc. In 3rd dc of shell work a sc, work a shell (5 dc in same single crochet stitch) in single crochet. Work sc in third dc of next shell, work shell in next sc. Repeat. Work a sc in top of last shell in row. Finish shell of the 3 dc at beginning of row work two more dc in same stitch 3 dc come out of. Work a slip stitch in the top of the chain 3 from the beginning.
- Row 7: Chain one. Work a sc in first stitch. Work a shell in all sc and a sc in the top of each shell. Work a slip stitch in the first sc made at beginning of row.
- Row 8: Chain 3 and work 2 dc in same stitch. Work sc in top of each shell and a shell in each sc. Work sc in top of last shell and then 2 dc in same stitch with the 3 dc at beginning of row. Work slip stitch in top of chain 3.
- Row 9: Work slip stitch in each a in each stitch around. Fasten off and weave ends in.
CommentsRead More Comments
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.