Make a Sit-Upon

Do you like to go camping but hate sitting on the cold wet ground? How about making a gift for the teachers at an elementary school? Take some old news papers, an old shower curtain, and yarn/ribbon and make a sit-up-on. Cut the curtain into strips that are 18 inches by 30/36 inches. Place folded newspapers (maybe an inch thick) on the curtain and fold the curtain over. Punch holes in the curtain along the edges and feed the yarn through to close the curtain up.

Source: Old girl scout project.

By Mary G from Durham, NC

We did this in Camp Fire Girls, using heavy vinyl, but all the rest the same. Still using ours 40 years later!

you can also make one by cutting the legs of a pair of old jeans and sewing the legs together and the waist together.

I would use these in the car on the seats to protect the fabric itself. Make them thin and washable. each child could have his/hers own favorite color. Add some color to your car to match you taste or style. This is a great idea. Thank you

Yep! remember these! My mom had been a Campfire Girls (Bluebird) leader with my older sisters in Oklahoma, and then was a Brownie leader w/me, and we made these. We used them at the firworks on the 4th of July and other outdoor events for years and years!! Thanks for rekindling a memory!

We've made these by putting a few layers of newspaper into a milk bag. (the kind you get three smaller bags of milk in) We just tape shut and it works beautifully. Keeps the dampness out.

Boy don't I feel old. We made these as well as a bridge when I was in girl scouts. I really loved the girl scout camp.I love hiking and camp fires and as a matter of fact still camp. However the hiking part is out. Thank you for the direction's for the sit up ons. I have been trying to remember the dimensions, as I wanted to make some for the grand kids who love to camp. Darlene

Making a Sit-Up-On
Making a Sit-Upon
Crafts OtherSeptember 24, 2008
Garden Bench
Making a Garden Bench
Man training a dog to sit.
Teaching Your Dog to Sit
dried spices
How Long Do Dried Herbs and Spices Last?
Office chair with lime green cushions.
Fixing a Squeaky Office Chair