Cut the "Milk Ring" and Save Our Wildlife

Never leave the ring/collar from your gallon of milk or juice whole. When you discard it, cut it open first. That ring is just the right size to strangle some of our smaller wildlife.

By JustPlainJo from Springfield, OH

Thank you for this tip. Never knew this before.

An addition to this. Cut the plastic rings also that hold a six of pack of soda or beer together as when it goes to landfill, before it gets buried, I assume, the birds can become tangled in the rings & not get them off their legs eventually killing them.

What is the milk ring?

A "milk ring" is what you remove from a plastic milk jug when you twist open the cap for the first time.

I also cut up rubber bands and long pieces of string, yarn, etc. when they can no longer be used.

Thanks for the extra suggestions. I never seem to have to worry about cutting rubber bands, though. Mine break without help, lol! We don't buy many six-packs with the plastic rings, but I try to cut those up, too. Thanks again for filling in the blanks for me.

Hi, all. Just wanted to thank everyone who voted for this tip. You've just made it possible for me to go to my 30-year class reunion next month. :D

Great tip Jo. I was going to add the information regarding cutting up the plastic rings that hold 6 cans of soda pop together, but Indianone shared it. I cut everything into pieces if remaining whole could choke or "tie" feet or legs together so that animals are caught "in a death trap". I'm not positive, but I think both the milk rings as well as the soda pop plastic rings can be placed in the recycle bins. I should check on that as we do recycle here in our sub-division.

Thank you for the tip and reminder Ladies.

Have fun on your trip Jo. :-)

Pookarina

Before recycling the milk jug rings, if you crochet, you can crochet around the rings, with a double or triple stitch, making a lovely ornament or photo frame. I make them red and green and white, glue a photo behind them, and give them as Christmas ornaments. They are very pretty on a tree, in a group. You can even arrange them into stars, trees, etc, on a board and hang it all on the wall as a collage of photos. There are endless possibilities.

Jo, great reminder.I'd like to add in those plastic mesh produce bags.Unless you make them into crochet pot scrubbers or, like Jacketbacker I crochet anything I can re-purpose.

Sorry but I am a bit confused. First off, the milk ring is torn around the cap so it's not joined. Also, all the six pack rings and such are recyclable so they wouldn't end up in the land fill. Or at least, they are not suppose to.

It seems to me that if a person takes the time to cut them to protect wildlife, they would simply toss them into the recycle bin to protect all of us.

Sandi, not everyone has recycling. We just got it at my apartment complex late last year. Yes, you can save it up and take it to a recycling place in a nearby city, if you have a place to save a few months' worth of recycling. I can tell you this may not always be possible.

Food and Recipes Food Tips DairyMay 28, 2010
Squirrel eating a flower.
Protecting Bulbs from Wildlife
A chaffinch sitting on a rock by a garden pond.
Keeping Ponds Safe for Fish and Wildlife
young beach cleanup volunteer on beach with yellow trash bag
Cleaning Up Our Beaches
Pond Fish
Protecting Pond Fish From Wildlife
🎄