Grape Jelly Recipes

I need recipe to make jam and jelly from wild oregon grape.

I seem to remember looking on the net last year for wild oregon grape jelly recipes, because the crop was incredible and I hate waste... but most of what I read said don't bother, that the berries didn't make a good jelly by themselves.

This is from recipezaar:

Wild Grape Jelly Recipe #72585

3 lbs wild grapes, stemmed

3 cups water

4 1/2 cups sugar

1 (85 ml) package liquid pectin

In large saucepan, crush grapes with potato masher; pour in water and bring to boil.

Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes or until fruit is very soft.

Transfer to jelly bag or colander lined with a double thickness of fine cheesecloth and let drip overnight.

Measure juice (you should have 3 cups/750 ml) into a large heavy saucepan; stir in sugar.

Bring to boil over high heat, stirring constantly.

Stir in pectin.

Return to full boil and boil hard for one minute, stirring constantly.

Remove from heat and skim off foam with a metal spoon.

Pour into sterilized jars, leaving 1/8 inch headspace.

of course it makes great jelly! Oregon Grape is very tart, I sometimes use 1/2 grape and 1/2 blackberries, using the same recipe as above.

But I have made it with just the grapes and it comes out great. Sweet and tart.

Oregon grape jelly is wonderful - great on toast, bread whatever and excellent with meat, chicken etc. Whoever says don't bother must have a pretty bland palate!

If you are in OR...Albertson's has the Sure-Gel Freezer Jam Pectin (at $1 each for a time) just crush the fruit and mix. I used the blender because my blueberries didn't smash up with the masher very well (but the blackberries were falling apart! It said 5 8oz containers, but I only got 3 and a half cups. It worked great too, and I don't see why you couldn't use grapes (that is my next concoction, ripe grapes and blackberries, no wild ones around here!)There is also a sample of the pectin in the Ball Freezer Containers, next to the jars.

I have made oregon grape jelly many years ago and would like to find a recipe again. I know what it taste like but DO want the receipe (without salal as I don't have any ).

Here in Vancouver, WA the Oregon Grape bushes are used as ornamentals! I am originally from So. Oregon where you have to hunt for the plants. LOL People up here thought they were not edible.

I made Oregon grape jelly years ago, and used apple juice with it. It is wonderful with wild game.

A slice of toast with grape jelly on it.
Grape Jam Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Condiments Jam & JellyAugust 2, 2006
Mulled Grape Cider
Mulled Grape Cider Recipes
Grape juice that is splashing out of the cup.
Removing Grape Juice Stains from a Tablecloth
box of cereal
Recipes Using Grape Nuts
green grapes
Creamy Grape Salad Recipes