Juicing Grapes for Making Jelly

I have buckets of wild mustang grapes on my new property, but do not know how to keep, prepare, or juice them for marking grape jelly. Can you help me?

By Kathy N

I would try steaming them lightly-just for a few minutes,til they are ready to pop. Then, I would put them thru a colander or sieve that I would set over a pan.once the grapes are all processed this way, I would go on to make the jelly as directed in my canning book or recipe.

Using google type in wild mustang grape jelly. It will take you to a list of websites. One of them is gardenstew.com where you will find a step by step recipe from others who make jelly from these grapes. I've only made it with concord grapes in the past. Homemade things always taste so much different(better) except I decided that grape jelly is not expensive and I didn't think homemade jelly was any better than the store bought. And no mess. Maybe its called value of your time. I'm not sure. Have a Great Day!

I don't know if "mustang" and muscadine are the same type of grape but this recipe may work for your grapes.

Grape Hull Pie
This is a recipe handed down by word of mouth for many generations. I've never seen it in a cookbook. All measurements are approximate, "this or that", "more or less". This pie may be made with any North Carolina Muscadine grapes, either black or white. Squeeze the pulp from at least a quart of grapes and reserve the (seed- free) hulls. Pour as much juice as you saved from the extraction of pulps or the hulls plus enough water to barely cover them and boil(covered) with no sugar until they are tender, 30-45 minutes.

In a bowl mix:
3 egg yolks (save whites) ½1/2 cup carnation milk
1-1/4 cup sugar 1/2 stick margarine
2 Tblsp. Flour 1/2 tsp. nutmeg

To this custard mixture add the cooked and cooled grape hulls and some liquid (1/2 cup, maybe) add more sugar if needed-pour into a 9 inch unbaked pie crust, bake for 45 minutes to an hour in 350F degree oven. Remove from the oven and cover with meringue made from the reserved egg whites using your favorite meringue recipe and bake 12-15 minutes more.

You can buy a juicer that will separate the pulp and seeds and then boil the juice and you can bottle it in mason jars. We use ours for tomato juice.