Wisconsin Vacation Ideas

My husband and I only have two days vacation and wish to Southern Wisconsin in August or September. Any suggestions for "points of interest" for a fun time on such a short vacation, that won't break the bank?

Thank you!
Eva from Illinois

Editor's Note: Eva also asked about Iowa ideas, we'll create a separate request for that.

Wisconsin Dells (should have info on their state travel website) is home to "the house on the rock" It is built into a bluff, and has EVERYTHING you can imagine. I cannot begin to describe it, but you can literally spend a whole day, and it is like a museum, storybook, an adventure!

We really love the Dells. It is a great family vacation destination. We've been staying at Great Wolf Lodge the last couple times and in fact are going again in May. I wouldn't call it a cheap place to stay but it has everything there, you could just stay there and not even leave and have a great time!

Since I live in southern Wisconsin, I have a few ideas. Mineral Point has restored area of homes where miners lived in the 19th century. Interesting if you like history. Close to the Mississippi River in Prairie du Chien is Villa Louis, a home owned by the Dousmans, he was a rich fur trader in the old days. Beautiful house restored to an older era. Wisconsin Dells has water parks, but better than that, river boat rides on the Wisconsin River to many scenic areas. The House on the Rock isn't in Wisconsin Dells, but some miles away. Quite a sight to see though, worth going.

Travel and Recreation TravelMarch 22, 2006
An aerial photo of Disneyland.
Saving Money on a Disney Vacation
Girl in a red coat giving to the Salvation Army.
Wisconsin Christmas Charities
Saving Money a Ski Vacation, Sisters on Ski Vacation
Saving Money a Ski Vacation
Madison, WI capital building
South Central Wisconsin Frugal Travel Guide
🎄