Saving By the "Windfall" Method

contest winner icon

For years, we have had a leaky roof. Every summer my husband puts another coat of sealer on it (it's a mobile home) and every winter we put buckets under the leaks. I have determined that we will have a good roof before the snow flies! We have been saving with the "windfall" method.

I bought a heifer 18 months ago. By September she will be ready to calve, and we will hopefully sell her for about $1500. We are also selling our food concession.

Today I received a gift card to Walmart, earned on a website that has me look at ads and take surveys. It's for $50. I could just spend it on fun stuff, but this time I will use it on my grocery bill. Then I will take the $50 from my grocery money envelope and put it into savings.

Last week there was a great sale at Albertson's. Buy 5 Oscar Mayer products and get $4.00 back. The regularly $2.99 packages were marked $1.00 or 10 for $10.00. I bought twenty packages, five at a time. I spent $21.20, but I got back $16.00 to use on next orders. Naturally, I used my $4.00 off on the second order of $5.00. Ditto for the third and fourth orders. There was no limit. Our freezer has a good supply of deli ham for sandwiches and casseroles. I put my grocery money in an envelope. When I run out of money, I quit. BUT if I have some left over, I put it in savings for our new roof.

With opportunities like this, there will be money for savings. Two friends in construction have offered to give us bids and possibly trade their labor for our food concession. There are lots of possibilities. If we get our new roof this year, next year we hope to add solar panels. Wahoo!

By Coreen from Rupert, ID

Hi there, can you please tell me how you went about earning the Walmart gift card? You can feel free to email me at Lmm3880 @ hotmail . com

Thanks in advance

I've done this too-- but never knew what to call it! So thanks.

A lot of any saving method is state of mind-- you know, half full, half empty.....

One of my methods-- If I paid for something and then was reimbursed-- I put the reimbursment in those savings... after all-- the money was already spent and I hadn't needed it since...My daughter put the equivilent cash that she saved using coupons...A friend paid things in $20 bills-- any change went into savings-- Another friend used only round numbers when writing in her checkbook-- the difference went into those savings.

So-- keep your eyes open folks-- there IS a way! and good luck!

This really proves that no matter how small the savings it can add up quick if you stick with it. Good luck!

i put back my savings when I grocery shop whatever i save using coupons or the difference between the reg. price and the sale price. I saved $100 a month doing this

Increasing Your Savings, Stack of Money
Increasing Your Savings
Budget & Finance Saving MoneyAugust 22, 2007
Wood Kitchen Cabinets
Cleaning Wood Cabinets
Jar of pickled tomatoes.
How to Pickle Vegetables
Dish of mashed potatoes.
Freezing Mashed Potatoes
spider plant wth babies
How to Divide Your Houseplants
🎉
🎄