BedroomDecorating

Decorating a Tan Bedroom With Oak Furniture

Category Bedroom

I need a good way to decorate my room. It's a tan painted room with a wheat bed cover. I have oak bedroom furniture and was curious what you would say i should decorate my room in.

Nick Gonzalez

You need to look for complimentary colors to the browns you having going on. I would suggest going to the paint store for paint swatch cards to find the colors you want to use in fabrics, decorative accessories, candles, etc. These are free at most paint stores and will offer a multitude of hues. When you find one you like the looks of, say a rust color, then take that paint swatch with you when you look for accents such as pillows or fabric. The colors you will want to look at are rusts, beige, some yellows and perhaps even some oranges or pumpkin shades.

I have a tan room that I accented using dark reds, blues and whites. It is an americana theme, but the colors are so rich you could go with any combination of dark colors like green and blue, purple and green, brown and red, and be sure to throw some white in - it really makes all the other things that much more noticiable.

All the colours you have already are very bland and neutral, basically shades of brown or all the same colour! Rusts, beige and pumpkin are also very close to these colours. They are nice and restful but it sounds like you need a bit of zing! Depending on if you like bright colours you could add small amounts of bright primary colours - red, yellow, blue. If you aren't keen on primary look for jewel colours like rich turquoise blues/greens or magenta/ruby red. The suggestion for white is a great one - but its also a neutral colour - it will lift other colours but just putting white with the browns alone will not have much effect.

Have a look in some home decor magazines and see which pictures you actually notice as you glance at the page and if you like them, and what it is you like about them. Then adapt the colour scheme for your room.

Regards

Jo

COLOR!

I'm having the same problem!!