Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Making Toast Without a Toaster

Pin It
Picture of toast.

I do not own a toaster and was wondering can you toast bread in the oven?

By

Best Answers

These answers have been rated the best for this question.

By Spirckle02/13/2010

The results of making toast in a frying pan are so superior that I wonder why the toaster or toaster oven was even invented.

I use a large steel-clad frying pan with a flat bottom. A curved bottom won't work that well. Since I usually make eggs as well with toast here is how I do it:

Turn the burner just below medium (4 on my range) place the bread slices in the frying pan. Do other stuff until you smell a toasted smell. At first you might think you've burnt it, but when you turn the bread over you will discover that it is a perfect medium brown. turn over and repeat.

Now I put in a little oil or butter and turn the burner off and it will be just the right temperature to finish off your scrambled eggs, or if I want eggs over-easy I leave it on low.

If I do bacon or ham I put the eggs and toast in a barely warm oven, and turn the burner back up under the frying pan to do the meat last. That prevents the sticky residue of frying meat from messing up the toast and eggs.

That's all there's to it. Just one pan to clean up with minimal energy usage and no toaster hogging up counter space.

By DM (Guest Post)01/27/2009

I made toast this morning. In the past when I just put the toast in the oven at some random temp, it would get all hard and crisp. Almost crouton-like.

The secret is... (drum roll please) you have to put it on broil. Most people's ovens, or rather my own the rack is in the middle so it can bake evenly. If the toast is too far away from the broiler, it will merely get hard and take a while to get done. Today, I put my toast in a baking pan and placed it underneath the broiler on the top rack. In less than 2 minutes, it was finished on one side. Then I turned the bread over and it toasted nice and golden. Perfect toast.

By Cyinda [214]02/04/2007

Your oven's broiler works best, but you can also toast bread in a Frying Pan (Cast Iron works best). This is great for camping. It works best if you butter the bread lightly, but if you're like me & don't use butter or margarine, you can also toast it "dry".

The Broiler & Frying Pan also work for Bagels and English Muffins too! When toasting in the oven, don't forget to turn the toast over or the other side will be soft & not toasted.

When I was a child my Mom would make Cinnamon toast this way:
She's simply butter the bread, sprinkle sugar over it then sprinkle cinnamon right out of the can. Yum! As a child I sure loved those day's she made that for me.... Of course that was in the 60's and I'm a bit more health conscious than she was back then, but it sure was a tasty treat!

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By pamela (Guest Post)03/09/2008

I loved the 'hanger' idea-are there chemicals on the hanger though?

By mia (Guest Post)02/06/2007

If you're going to make toast often, my suggestion is to buy a toaster somehow, either at a Good Will, a thrift shop, garage sale, etc. b/c it seems to me that making toast in an oven is an expensive piece of toast for the cost of heating up an oven just for one or two slices of bread. It would pay to get a toaster if you'll be making it often.

By goldilox (Guest Post)02/04/2007

Yes, you can actually toast bread in the broiler of your oven. I can remember my grandmother doing this over 40 years ago. She never owned a toaster. I've tried it and it works. Make sure you watch it closely or you'll have a burnt mess.

By Nicole [8]02/03/2007

i've made toast with a metal hanger folded in two and put over stove element then place the slice of bread on hanger, flip the toast to the other side... it is rather quick and it is a quick fix that works well

caution; it needs supervision... since it can go quick

By (Guest Post)02/03/2007

Put it in the oven on broil, low unless you're in a hurry. Once the buttered side is brown, slide out the rack, flip it, and brown the other side if you want. Watch it close - it cooks quick under the broiler!!!

By Coreen Hart [73]02/03/2007

We've used the broiler for 25 years, and it's great! I think our kitchens can get cluttered with too many accessories, don't you?

By egyptian princess (Guest Post)02/03/2007

I have made toast in the oven using the grill, when I didn't have a toaster and I found that the bread came out really hard, even if I toasted the bread slightly. Best way to toast is using a toaster, quick and easy, browns the bread without making it hard. Or you can fry which is always nice. Try buttering your bread dip the bread in egg and then fry. Result: Nice fried eggy toast, delicious.

By SL Edens [1]02/02/2007

I agree with Michawnpita! I never use a toaster or the oven....I only use a frying pan for probably the last 40 years or so. I love the taste and I use olive oil to toast it. Love it, love it!

By Michawn [16]02/02/2007

Yeah, but you know a really yummy way to cook it, on a frying pan! I remember when I was a kid and we would go camping, toast was AWESOME! My mom would butter/margarine the bread and cook it on the pan, both sides. Heaven!

By Kylie [5]02/02/2007

You can make toast in the oven, not sure what temp but better to do it under the grill of your oven it's quicker and easier to check, toast both sides and try not to burn it.