Grammar Tip: "It's" vs "Its"

Inspired by a grammar tip, I wanted to share another. It's the use of "it's and its". Most people love to put an apostrophe to show ownership or possession. While this is usually true, in the case of "it", it's always means "it is". "Its" without the apostrophe is the possessive form. It's rare when we can make a statement with always or never, but this is one of those times when "always" is applicable.

Source: Any English book

By Jean from Longview, TX

I have another grammar fetish that literally drives me nuts. I hear it everywhere, tv news etc. For she and I or with he and I. You wouldn't say for she or with he so the fact that it has two pronouns there doesn't change anything. He, she and I are subjective pronouns which means they do whatever action in spoken of in the sentence. Him, her and me are objective pronouns thereby receiving the action. It might get you some funny looks but for her and me is correct as well as with him and me. Just think for her and for me or with him and with me.

No pronoun uses an apostrophe to make it a possessive.

What bugs me are the people who use the word "myself" instead of "me."

Thanks for this simple truth, and I'm glad I'm not the only "grammar police" out there!

Apostrophe Key
Proper Use of an Apostrophe
Better Living Self ImprovementApril 15, 2010
A tip on a table in a restaurant.
Calculating Tips at Restaurants
"Affect" vs "Effect"
Grammar Tip: "Affect" vs "Effect"
Sports fans drinking at a sports bar.
How Much Should You Tip at a Sports Bar?
"Stationary" vs "Stationery"
"Stationary" vs "Stationery" - Grammar Tips
🎄