The Tops of My Feet Are Red

On my feet the toes and top of the foot are red, and I mean RED! I do not know what is causing this. One of my doctors thought it was caused by a medicine - but that did not turn out to be correct. This has been like this for about a year. How do I wear sandals with my feet all red!

Any help?
Penny from Pittsburgh, PA

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

I'm not a doctor but here are some thoughts. Several things come to mind. One is that you have an allergy that can be caused by your laundry detergent, or your fabric softener or even your shower soap or shampoo. Residue can be left on and act as an irritant. When your feet get hot and sweaty, the allergy gets worse. The second is that you have some kind of fungus that is triggered by heat and moisture, the kind of conditions that occur when you get hot and sweaty and stay in shoes for long periods of time. The next is that there is a friction irritation from staying barefoot in shoes for extended periods of time. I get that when I go without socks and stay in shoes, but it usually resolves fairly quickly. Since you didn't mention if you have itching or just redness, it really is hard to tell. My best advice is that if your doctor is having trouble identifying what is wrong, see a dermatologist. If you have poor circulation in your legs or swelling especially in the summer, it is best to let a professional deal with it rather than trying to get home remedies for a condition that may get worse. Good luck getting rid of it. (My husband once had a case of poison ivy start like that on his feet. His doctor misdiagnosed that but it soon became painfully aware what it was) Best of luck to you.

Did you get a red pair of shoes wet? red socks? Friction between nylons and tight shoes?

Go to another doctor-maybe a dermatologist.

Mine was caused by an egg allergy.

My mothers had this on her legs. They were a bright red. I took her to a dermatologist and it had something to do with water retention. He doubled her water pill and gave her an ointment to put on her legs. We then have to wrap them in plastic wrap and ace bandages.

I would definitely go to see a dermatologist about this.

Just want to thank all of those of you who have tried to help me with my red feet. Most of you are right about seeing a podiatrist (foot doctor). I am going to do that and hope he can help me. I did see a dermatologist who said she thought she might be able to help but was not sure.

In the meantime, I am wearing shoes that cover the part of my feet that are red!! Thanks to all, Penny

my feet hurt the tops are red but lately i have been wearing no socks is that the problem and i have been doing a lot of running the shoes are not red

If you're still red-footed, but haven't gone to the doctor for whatever reason, try elevating your feet for 15 minutes every hour, higher than your head, which means lying down, putting your feet/legs on a sofa cushion while keeping rest of body/head flat.

If it's circulation, this should make a significant difference. If an allergy, it won't affect it. Strawberry rashes, as they are often called, can come from stress or chemicals from within or outside the body.

check the inside of all your shoes for red dye. Check the foot of your bedspread and blankets to see if the linings are rubbed off, exposing you to the insides. If the feet have a slight rash, it could be dust mites that have taken up residency in your shoes, in which case you will have to use alcohol on your feet and in your shoes daily, until gone, then, clean out your shoe closet area. You could take Benedryl, if not on RX meds, but check with a doctor

first.

Do you rest your feet underneath a piece of Mahogany furniture or upholstered piece that might have a red lining you have not seen beneath it? If you have been using any red tinted hair products or body soaps, there could be a residue left on the tops of your feet. If you are ever in the sun, it could be that you have developed an oversensitivity to the sun. Also, pets can transfer

carpet/rug threads and lint to our skin. Pet harnesses

of leather can rub off on our skin. Hope this helps.

God bless and help you. : )

Penny - fill us in. How was the situation solved?

My mom has redness on her shins and it was related to diabetes. a condition called periphal neuropathy.

The redness is accompanied by tingling and numbness. If you have diabetes, see an endocronologist about the problem

hi there, just a thought but you might have erythromalalgia - i've only recently discovered its what i have as its very rare - a vascular surgeon didnt even know what was causing my red feet. If it gets worse when you stand up for a long time or sometimes when they get hot - like after a hot bath this could be the problem. Hope this helps Cx

My daughter is only 15, her feet and sometimes hands started turning BRIGHT red we aren't sure exactly when this started happening but she is always being asked whats wrong with her feet. She said sometimes they burn a little but otherwise they do not bother her. Hers only do it when she is on her feet for a while. If you find out any thing please let me know. Thanks.

I've had a rash on top of my feet for about a month now. I've heard a pair of new shoes could have caused it and I think it's true because after I wore my new pair of boots I got this weird rash on top of both feet. I really don't know how to cure it but it seems that rubbing lime juice has made it a bit better. It's a bit more clear and it doesn't itch anymore as when it first began to appear. I really need help and I don't have the amount of money to go check up with a doctor. Please, what can i use to help remove completely this rash. I haven't worn any shoes that cover my whole feet but sandals. Ive been washing my feet in cold water and rubbing on some Lime Juice. Its still a bit red but I want it completely gone! Can someone give me some advice on what I can do? I seriously want it to go away.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Health & Beauty Beauty Skin Care AdviceJune 2, 2007
Before photo of painted laminate countertop.
Polishing Counter Tops
Recycled Summer Top
Recycled Summer Tops
Red Wine
Removing Red Wine Stains from Microfiber
Glass of Red Wine Spilled on Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Carpet
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 20, 2016 at 5:44:50 PM on 10.0.2.76 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.