We gave our Rottie away to a loving home due to us moving to Germany soon. In the 10 days she was there, she was consistently vomiting, didn't eat much, would drink a lot and then she started drinking nothing at all and she would just lay on her bed and urinate on herself. We picked her up from the people as we did not want her to be a burden. We thought that maybe it was just depression and stress. She was walking like she was drunk, bumping into things, failing to really stand on her own.
Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
It may have been Hemorrhagic Gastritis, The same occurred to our spitzpoo but we fortunatee enough to have a 24 hour emergency vet that saved his life. It happened so fast. Very sorry about your loss.
The exact same thing happened to my brother's dog. The vet said it was a type of cancer common in dogs, the dog equivalent of lymphoma. There was nothing that could be done, the dog had to be put to sleep.
Also might have been Parvo if she wasn't vaccinated for it..we almost lost our Rotti to it several years ago...same symptoms...happens fast and only takes a few days to end in death... so sorry for your loss..
Maggie O in Bloomington, MN
We were thinking Parvo also, but she had just had her vaccination in Nov. It really sucked this happening, kind of blame ourselves for it all. Thanks for the support from you all it really is appreciated.
It could have been poison also or something that she ate. So sorry for your loss.
I'm so sorry this happened to your dog and your family!
I'm not a vet, but this sounds like poison to me. Antifreeze poisoning is usually faster, but does cause the "drunken" staggering ... anything that could lead to kidney failure could also cause your pet to drink a lot of water, then stop drinking at all, and feel too lousy to get up even to pass urine.
Part of the reason for suspecting accidental poisoning is the timing. A dog is more likely to get into something s/he shouldn't in a new place, where people may still be figuring out what adjustments will be made, than in the same home where s/he's thrived for a lifetime. There could have been an ingested houseplant, something untoward in the yard or garage (what insecticides were used on the lawn?), or some other accidental exposure.
It's worth describing your pet's symptoms in detail to the vet to get at least a best guess from a trusted professional as to what might have caused the problem. It might help to have some sense of explanation, when you're struggling to deal with such an unexpected loss.
My best wishes to you and your family,
I'm no vet, but it sounds like she was either poisoned or got into something poisonous. You have my sympathy ;(
I am so sorry for your loss, I am choked up with tears for you. Such sad news.
My very best wishes to you and your family.
So sad. Our condolences on your loss. it does sound like poison probably accidental. He probably found something on a walk or in the house.
I am so sorry for your loss too. I had a rott several years ago when there wasn't such a demand for them. She was such a sweetheart! It sounds like he did get poisoned. But also my vet told me that rotts need to vaccinated twice a year for parvo because their immune system is very suseptible to that. However, its unusual for an adult dog that has always been vaccinated to have it at all. Have you considered having your vet do an autopsy just for your peace of mind? Again, I am so sorry and hope your good memories of him will comfort you.
Karen in TN
It really sounds like Addisons. Our sweet Viszla "LUCY" had Addisons Disease for 6 years and the symptoms sound similar. She just passed this last fall and I still miss her dearly.
i am also very sorry for your loss. i had to put down my first dog glory and it was awful. i am sorry also to have to agree with it soundss like poisen
I'm so sorry this happened, when you're getting ready for a major move, and now this heartbreak. I'm very angry at the new home people who let her vomit for ten days with no medical help!
Just so everyone knows, the family did do everything that they could, they did take her to the vet and had her on 6 different meds, unfortunately they did not work. As we do not blame them I just respectfully request that you all do not blame them either. Thank you to all of you who have posted such great feedback! As for poisons, she did not get into anything, she was actually being closely watched while at their house. I am thinking the Parvo or cancer might of been the answer as the symptoms are the same. I had heard of dogs that had been diagnosed with cancer and then 3 days later they were dead expressing the same symptoms as I have described above. Please keep letting me know what you all think, my family and I really appreciate it!
My first thought was an illness that is little known called Dog Show Crud. It can strike fast and take a puppy LITERALLY within hours--an older dog maybe more drawn out. A key element is a stool that is whitish, like jello or mucousy. A mucously stool could also indicate worms but a dog or esp a puppy can look emaciated within hours and die, with or without vomiting and diarrhea. Not sure if your dog had this but its VERY common and mimics parvo but its NOT parvo. A parvo test will be mild positive.
The only thing that doesn't quite fit is the looking like being drunk and walking into things. However this could be just not feeling well and she was fighting this illness. A dog may not succumb as quickly like a pup would.
First, sorry for your loss. I'm thinking Parvo could've been the culprit. Mine got it as a puppy. I got the medications and fluids from my vet and gave her the injections at home, since I couldn't afford a $1500 doctor's bill for them to care for her and not have any guarantee of her recovery. Glory to God, she pulled through! My ex-boyfriend's cousin brought his pit over but we didn't know that the dog was sick with Parvo at the time. His dog died, and it's symptoms were similar to yours.
I'm so sorry to hear of this, but must agree it sounds like poison, and possibly antifreeze.
I don't have any answers...I just wanted you to know that our hearts go out to you. Losing a dear furry friend is very hard.
Grandma Jan and Kato
I have been freaking out my dog Jaxon is so sick right now. He is doing the same thing staggering and acting drunk but all he wants to do is drink water. He has drank like 10 gallons of water, but I finally took it away when I heard it sloshing around in his belly. He just turned one in July and we have had him 1 year Thursday. My son is devastated and we cannot afford to buy a new one. It is so sad but I came home after being gone for the majority of the day, to find him vomiting. I just used the last of my money to move, so I can't even take him to the vet. It is so sad we are supposed to take him in in the morning to see what is wrong. Any suggestions would be great on how to help him?
I don'[t know what part of the country you live in, but I, too, would suspect antifreeze poisoning. Dogs (cats, too) are attracted to the sweet smell and taste, and it only takes an ounce or two to cause death. The staggering and "drunkenness" is a solid clue, as might well be the thirst as the kidneys begin to--and eventually but quickly do--fail. Poisoning is usually accidental, of course, and springtime (your post was in May) is a prime time for even small antifreeze spills, as is fall when folks "winterize" their cars. Watching a pet become deathly ill is a terrible experience, and I'm so sorry for your loss. In light of Veterans Day, yesterday, my thanks to you and all that you do.
My Rottweiler was 4, healthy and really well loved. All of a sudden she took a turn, and got very weak. She wasn't eating drinking. Being sick and had a temperature was drooling loads. She fell to the floor. On the way to the vets she died. It broke my heart, and I have a gut feeling she was poisoned. What are the symptoms?
Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!