Making vs. Buying Worcestershire Sauce

Can I make good Worcestershire sauce at home or is it better if I just buy it?

I made a batch once, but Lea and Perrins tastes better. Probably has to do with the aging process. I still have the recipe if you want it.

It is so cheap to buy; you can get it at Dollar General and it tastes just fine. I last found a great deal on the large bottle of Lea and Pearins at Sam's; it lasts a very long time.

I make my own and love it. This is my grandmother's recipe:

1 kg treacle

4 litres brown vinegar

1 handful salt

4 ozs garlic

1 tsp cayenne pepper

1 tsp ground ginger

30 grams cloves

30 grams peppercorns

Place the cloves and peppercorns in a muslin type of bag, place all ingredients in a saucepan with lid on and simmer for 1 hr. Bottle. Will keep for years. Must keep the lid on the saucepan otherwise a lot of the vinegar will evaporate. Can reduce the quantity of the recipe if desired. Tastes great!

That's just one of those things I never even thought about trying to make. I use it occasionally so it lasts me a long time. Are you really using so much of it that you feel you'd NEED to make it to save money on it...if not, it's not expensive enough if you ask me to go to the bother!

Food and Recipes Recipes AdviceOctober 15, 2007
Peanut Sauce Recipes, Pork satay with peanut sauce dip.
Peanut Sauce Recipes
Chopsticks Picking up Piece of Teriyaki Chicken
Homemade Teriyaki Sauce Recipes
Homemade pizaa sauce.
Pizza Sauce Recipes
Cheesecake with fresh raspberries and sauce.
Raspberry Sauce Recipes