Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Kitten Shakes While Sleeping

My male kitty tenses his muscles when he sleeps and shakes slightly. Could this be a problem or is this normal? I have had cats my whole life and have never had a cat do this.

By jazmeena from IA

By Lelia Jo Cordell [49]07/25/2009

I know I'm a dog person in a cat-centric forum here, but the concept still holds. I agree, your kitty is dreaming. Our five-year-old mastiff not only tenses and waves his paws in his sleep. He even jumps and "talks" in his sleep, it's comical sometimes!

By leanne chaisson [44]07/22/2009

jazmeena, I wouldn't worry about it. I have three cats and only one shakes and waves his paws in his sleep, it is not unusual and not worth the cost of going to the vet. hugs and purrs, cinnamon

By Donna J. Cole [2]07/22/2009

Your cat is dreaming, maybe going after a mouse or bird. She is not shaking she is chasing something. I've had cats for over 40 years. A lot of them dream.

By Maryeileen [76]07/22/2009

I'd call your vet's office and ask. He/she may want to examine your kitty. It's better to be safe than sorry.

By Kylie07/22/2009

If it is only kitten she or he is probably just dreaming. Kitten have wild dreams. So did we when we were kids.

By Beth [25]07/22/2009

Is it only when he sleeps?

By Lynda07/21/2009

Check on Dr. Jon.com and see if he says anything about it. What does your vet say?