"Credit" on eBay

If you're an eBay user, this might be a helpful tip. I used to buy things on eBay only occasionally, but after my son was born a few years ago, I started to buy more, usually for him. I also started selling things around my house that I no longer use, and stumbled upon a great thing--my own "free credit" on eBay!

How it works is this--I have a Paypal account, and when I sell something, people usually pay by depositing the money in my account. What I do is let the money keep building in my Paypal account, and then turn around and use it as "credit" to buy things for my son on eBay.

I did this for Christmas, and got probably about 60-75% of my gifts from eBay, without having to spend much cash at all! (A real blessing since we were short on money at that time!) Right now, I'm using my "credit" to buy most of my son's summer wardrobe. It's a win/win situation. I get some things cleared out of my apartment, and in turn I'm able to get things I need or want for my family, without spending cash!

By Lisa from Kenosha, WI

cool deal

I'm quite new to using ebay & am finding it very useful in clearing out unwanted or unused items/clothing around the home. I've sold a t.v. unit, a swivel chair and clothing that my son has outgrown & clothing that I haven't worn for a while or hardly at all (it's certainly teaching me to be more selective in my purchasing habits!). Like you, Lisa, I've been using the proceeds to buy a few new clothing items that fit & the odd gift in preparation for xmas. It's great that I can watch items before making a final decision & also nipping in at the end of an auction for a bargain : ).

I'm still on a learning curve but I'm finding it fun and cost effective : ) Basically, so far, my purchases have cost me nothing, almost like exchanging!!!

I have been both an ebay buyer and seller and it's really great. I like the convenience of buying on ebay and also lots of other online sites; however, that said....just a REMINDER, you pay shipping on all of the items you win on ebay and that can really add up! If you're able to get out to garage sales and thrift shops to buy clothing, etc for your family, that's still the best deal! Also the prices on ebay will be higher than buying at a garage sale, afterall, the person putting up the auction is trying to make something!

The best thing about leaving money in your paypal account is that they pay you interest, which is MUCH more than you'd get at most banks.

Budget & Finance Making MoneyMay 25, 2006
alternatives to ebay
Alternatives to eBay
eBay Logo
Selling On eBay
A woman taking a photo of a vase to post it on eBay.
eBay vs. Garage Sales
Credit Report on Table
Raising Your Credit Score